For He-Dopers who wear neckties

It surprises me that 2 people so far have stated that they know how to tie ALL 13 knots!

Anyway, I either tie the Nicky or the Pratt knot depending on how things work out. I don’t wear a tie all that often so it sometimes comes out different. But it was the Nicky that pops taught me when I was a youngster.

I know one knot, the “Catholic schoolboy.” It doesn’t look great but it does the job. As a nerd, no one expects me to be stylish so having a natty knot only detracts geek points. Until this thread, I didn’t know that there were so many knot styles. Wow.

I have 8 ties. The ties have small repeating patterns in non-attention-getting colors. I hate clothes shopping (colorblind and fashion impaired) so I get ones I think will remain in style for at least a decade. No real favorite, but I have a shiny pale yellow one (I think) that hangs well. I like that it stays flat on my shirt without a tie tack.

Bow tie? Sorry, I’m not George Will.

Well, that’s news to me. Or, I guess it’s something I should’ve considered. She’s pretty audacious in some of the things she says. It could be that she was just showing off her knowledge of how to tie a tie. But that seems strange to me, since she’s unmarried and in her early twenties. (And she’s from Guatemala and her name is Beatrice–that’s not the kind of person who reties a guy’s tie without asking.)

As to the OP, I didn’t even know that there are other ways to tie a tie, and I don’t know how they name my knot. I just do it because they expect me to at work. But I can do it in my sleep, and usually I do.

How many necktie knots do you know how to tie?

2 - Full Windsor and that one where you just wrap the tie around a couple of times.

Which one do you tie most often?
Full Windsor is the only real knot in my book.

Can you tie a bow-tie and do you ever wear one other than with a tux?
Learned to tie one once, used it once.

What is your favorite necktie that you never wear?
My Nancy and Sluggo tie. Lots of different Nancy and Sluggo faces all over. I is a bit short and makes me look fat. And nobody gets it.

Three, the Four-in-hand, The Windsor, and the half Windsor.

The Windsor, most of my ties are very thin silk so this gives you a substasial enough knot to fill the collar properly since I tend to wear spread collar shirts.

Yes, and no. I think I’d end up looking like Tucker Carlson on a 3 day bender.

The one I purchased for my mom and stepdad’s wedding because it’s too sentimental to spill food on. :smiley:

It’s the internet. You can say anything.

I have dozens of ties that I have not worn since I retired from my “suit” job 8 years ago and went to work for a more casual-dress (blue/black jeans) job.

Not counting my US Navy (and Boy Scout) neckerchief knots, I know/knew how to tie 2 knots, the four-in-hand and my favorite, the Windsor knot.

Too late in life I realized that I only needed to tie the knot once for each different tie and spent the last decades of tiedom removing the tie by loosening the knot and slipping the tie over my head. They are still like that in a box somewhere in my storage rooms.

I have never known, or needed to know, how to tie a bow knot. I think I may have worn one at a wedding but someone else tied it.

My favorite tie was one that had symbols of my trade on it.

Huh, so much venom about the double windsor. Or, full windsor, as it should be called. I stand corrected. :slight_smile:

But I think it’s cultural as well. I’ve certainly never been asked if I were a pimp, just for wearing a windsor. :eek:

Fashion in the US is different from over here, what can I say. A half windsor just looks too skinny, for lack of a better word. You’d look out of place in an office over here, that’s for sure. No judgement or anything, just different styles.

FTR, I had no idea that there were so many different ways to tie a tie, and that they actually have different levels of respectability in different cultures. Not that it’s a bad thing for me–I just have someone else tie it for me anyway, and since that tends to narrow it down to people in the same country as you are, I should be OK.

I can tie a Half Windsor, Full Windsor and a Four-in-Hand. The end difference is in the thickness of the knot and the symmetry of the knot. Tthe Full Windsor always ends up with a triangle, the other two, being asymmetrical, will be a little “askew”; but it’s also the biggest knot, which only looks right on a spread collar. And the length of the tie is another one. There are some ties I can ONLY tie in a Full Windsor without the tips ending up down to my crotch, or the tail of the tie extending past the front.

I think the spread collar is more popular in the UK and Europe than in the US. For a point collar or buttondown collar, a half windsor or four-in-hand generally looks best, the knot of a Full Windsor will be so big that it will actually extend under the collar, which looks like you’re trying to choke yourself with a noose. And pulling the knot reaaally tight risks ripping the silk (you do wear only 100% silk ties, right?).

The knot my dad taught me was the half-windsor, but I’ve been tying four-in-hand so long, I’ve forgotten it.
See above.
I learned the pattern once and sometimes tie my bathrobe belt using it, so I think I could, but I wouldn’t try if something were on the line.
Either my WWF necktie with pandas on it (too delicate) or my baseballs tie (Opening Day* only, and if the Braves ever make it back to the Series).

• Well, around Opening Day. I usually take the day off.

And depending upon who you ask, the double Windsor is actually an incorrect form of the full Windsor.
From Windsor knot - Wikipedia

I know how to tie a full and half Windsor; but only really use the half as I don’t like the big knot. I don’t like the four-in-hand knot as it’s not symmetrical. I don’t even remember how to tie it, although it’s supposed to be the easiest.

I don’t know how to tie a bow tie, and I don’t have a favorite tie. I put on my pants and shirt, then find a tie I think looks nice with it. My days of animal/cartoon/tools etc. on ties are long gone.

Say what you want, but I still think This looks better than this..

Wow, I just had an image in my mind of seeing a great debates thread on necktie knots. :slight_smile:

I think the reason few guys know how to tie the proper bow-tie knot isn’t because it’s particularly tricky; it’s just that understanding how to do it from a few diagrams is difficult.

I was determined to learn (have to do a fair bit of black tie stuff), so taught myself (from aforementioned crap diagrams) and have shown a few of my friends how to do it and it’s much easier to just be shown.

I’m pretty sure the Half Windsor isn’t asymmetrical. The variant may be, and I just looked at the pattern written and the knot it produces a little more closely, and I think that it is a tiny bit asymmetrical. However, I don’t think it’s visibly so when it’s tucked against your collar. The Four-in-Hand is definitely asymmetrical, but it’s on a different scale of asymmetry from the Half Windsor entirely.

Just wanted to note that I tried a few of those knots from the article, and I think the Victorian actually looks really interesting. It uses up more tie to tie it, but I kind of like how it looks. Sort of like a more formal asymmetry, as opposed to the Four-in-Hand. Anyone else get that impression, or find other knots they enjoyed?

3 - Windsor, half windsor, 4 in hand
4 in hand. Occasionally the half windsor
No
I have 4 silk ties that are permanently wrinkled since they have been used for “recreational” purposes.

I know two knots, full and half Windsor. Generally I use a half Windsor (because I rarely wear a jacket with my button-down shirts, unless it’s a thoroughly formal occasion), but for weddings and etc. I will use a full.

I don’t know how to wear a bow tie, and have never worn one. I’m not sure I’m quite snazzy enough to pull it off and not look like a complete prat.

My favorite necktie that I never wear? My father-in-law’s Y2K “commemorative” necktie, given to the entire coding dept. at his job then. (I inherited it when he died, as the tie-wearer in our family.)

Female, I don’t wear ties but know how to do a half-Windsor, which is the one Dad used. He reckoned that being able to knot a tie is something both men and women should be able to do, the women in case they’re with a man who needs help with it, so he taught me. I need to tie it on me, then loosen it and place it on the person who’s wearing it… trying to put it on him directly would end up in a mess.

Dad stole his neck off a chicken with a particularly thin neck, so wider knots wouldn’t have worked.

If you want to expand your repertoire, there are knot-tying instruction videos on YouTube.

The double windsor.

I don’t wear ties much, but when I do…I can only remember how to do the full windsor. I forgot how to do the half windsor.