? for "Munsters" fans in Manhattan

I read that at one time (about 10 years ago) that Al Lewis aka “Grampa Munster” owned an Italian restaurant in mid-town Manhattan.

Has anyone ever heard of it, and is it still there?

I think it was called Grandpa Al’s, and I seem to remember it having been on Bleeker or W 4th. It was the worst restaruant in the history of the world. It is, thankfully, gone.

Livin’ on Tums, Vitamin E and Rogaine

I think I may have mentioned this in another thread, but Al Lewis is my friend Dave’s unlce. Al lives on Roosevelt Island.

I’ll ask Dave about the restaurant if I can get in touch with him.

Formerly unknown as “Melanie”

It was just called “Grandpa’s.” The facade also featured a caricature of Lewis’s face in Grandpa makeup. On the southwest corner of Bleecker and Leroy in the village. Never tried it, but walked past it a lot.

I think it closed down in the early-to-mid '90s, and several restaurants have been in the space since. At the moment, the address has scaffolding in front of it. God knows what’s going in next.

The SW corner of Bleecker and Leroy is known to have some sort of “restaurant curse.” Over a dozen joints have been there and gone since I moved to NYC in 1982, and Grandpa’s was probably the longest-lived of them.

Uke