For The Last Time-- There Is No "A" In Definitely!

::::Shackles raised in defense::::

I’ll dig a hole at the cemetary.

**It’s = It is or it has

Its = Belonging to it. His, hers, its. No apostrophe.

It’s easy to confuse its usage.

It’s come to the end of [COLOR=Red]it’s life… <=== wrong!**[/COLOR]

Wholly cemetarian, Batman!

Holey seminarian, Batman?

I believe I’ve found (and bolded) two candidates… :smiley:

gabriela: Your mention of “tract” reminded me that someone who changes course takes a different tack (from the sailing term), not a new tact. I try to be patient when I encounter such errors, however – spelling words correctly isn’t as hard a row* to hoe for me as it is for most.

• as opposed to the too-common road

Welcome to the Gaudere’s Law example thread.

I have to admit that I do make typos from time to time, or sometimes I’ll have one train of thought going and have it skip a track as my brain puts the wrong word in. I do try to type everything correctly and do know how (probably with a few exceptions) – I’m just really bad at reviewing what I’ve written. :slight_smile:

“Loose” for “lose” is the one that always bugs me.

“You’re going to loose your hat in this high wind.” <-- WRONG!

I like pie.

I gnu I could on dopers to find them for me.

could count on?:slight_smile:

I just apologize and hope you will forgive me. I definitely misspell *definately * almost every time I type it. I have been using ieSpell - A **free ** Spell Checker for Internet Explorer to assist my spelling since the third week I was on the dope. I have noticed over the last year my spelling and grammar have actually improved along with my 4 finger typing speed.

Jim {Their es stil mucho rume four improivement :wink: }

Well, sure. But there’s an ‘a’ in ‘definate’ - everyone knows that.

finite
infinite
infinity
finish
define
definite

Those words all come from the finis root. Master one’s lack of As and Es (in the root, not necessarily add-ons) and you’ll have the rest.

www.spellcheck.net is what I use on occasions commanding a massive spellcheck job, since I lack Word.

It is the oddest thing, I know how to spell definitely but my fingers actually type the ‘a’ in, instead of the second ‘i’. I rarely fail to catch the mistake at this point but I definitely* keep typing it incorrectly.
Thankfully I have Word for large posts and when I am sure my grammar is very poor.

Jim

• I had to fix it this time even as I was writing about it. :smack:

Mistyping is fine, I find that I have the same words that I mistype over and over again. However, the blatant abuse of the English language is appalling, and becoming much more common. I do misspell plenty, ALWAYS type it planty, no idea why. One of those weird synaptic errors. Or a flashback. I thought flashbacks were supposed to be cooler than just frickin’ mistypes on a computer, damnit. I feel robbed.

The one that bothers me is “Without further adieu”.

What? What? Without further french goodbyes? What does that mean?

Ado. Without further ado. Meaning: without any more digression or preamble, let us get to the crux.

But “without further adieu” just looks so much more exotic and sophisticated.

Do you mistype or misspell plenty? If the latter, I can give you a word family list (similar to what I did for definitely) if you think it’d help.

I am beaten, battered and bruised. Time to run away!