For Those of You Who Think Radio in America Sucks

Radio in this country is the aural equivalent of a pile of dogshit–same songs played over and over again, annoying announcers, way too many commercials. It’s been going this way for years, and the corporate mergers that have put the airwaves in fewer and fewer hands are making everything worse. Not just homogenization, but outright confusion and incompetence dominate programming. The stations here in the Bay Area change formats so frequently it’s amazing; when you start up an “all-80’s” station, and then three months later abandon that idea and start playing music from other timeframes, you’re just telling your (potential) audience that your idea wasn’t any good in the first place, that you can’t make a legitimate programming decision, and that you really don’t know what the fuck you’re doing. If I didn’t listen to my headphone radio when I’m out hiking, I probably wouldn’t listen to radio at all anymore–and I think that’s probably the best thing all of us can do to rid ourselves of such nonsense. Screw them.

Mega-selling, award winning, “Oh Brother …” soundtrack is considered unplayable by commercial radio stations.

'Nuff said.

What is this thing you call local radio? I know of two stations that broadcast out of Valparaiso, one country music, the other is classic rock. We turn on the country channel to listen for news of school closings. I know there is a channel broadcasting from downtown Valparaiso, but i cannot tune it in, in my neighborhood, nor in the car… Most of the time, at my house we listen to radio stations out of Chicago.

Yeah, thanks for the linkfibonacci, it was nice to see how my local stations actually rank overall since half of them claim to be #1 in the area. :rolleyes:

Clear Channel owns 5 stations in our 16 station market. They changed the formats of two stations recently to sports talk and news talk. Well, more like right-wing talk. Ollie North and Laura Ingram…ick.

Does anyone know how long it normally takes to line up a new slate of advertisers after a format change? I’m curious since most of their ad time is filled with PSAs and ads for Clear Channel itself.