For those that have been to Hollywood, LA

ETA: We just spent a couple of nights at the Hollywood Roosevelt at the beginning of this month. I have to say I still stand by my original statement. It was crowded with tourists, there’s a Hard Rock Cafe also crowded with tourists, with locals hawking their souvenir-ish wares at them. (The latest fad seems to be that you can have a little sculpture made of your face, instead of just a drawing). All and all everyone seemed to be having a good time and I didn’t notice any scuzzy or sketchy people, nor threatening behavior from anyone.

You want scuzzy, I got a noseful of that a few days ago on the Sprinter from Oceanside to Escondido. In its infinite wisdom, the North County Transit District reduced Sprinter trains from two double-length articulated cars to just one; they may have decided that the passengers weren’t getting the whole spectrum of the public transit experience olfactory-wise, so they would squeeze us all into half the space. There were three or four people on the train that you could basically smell all over the car. Hollywood Boulevard was a pleasant, pastoral memory compared to that.