Foreign-Born Children of US Citizens

I’ve got a request here. We’re having a discussion in another thread about whether foreign-born children of US citizens are prevented by the constitution from running for President. Everyone has an opinion, but none of the opinions come from someone to whom this law/custom/what-have-you applies.

Are you a foreign-born child of US citizens? (Military, diplomatic corps, missionary, whatever.) If you are, I really want to know your answer to this question. If you’re not, I really don’t. Foreign-born US citizen dopers, what’s the straight dope on this matter? Does an accient of geography prevent you from running for President, or not?

Thank you.

It doesn’t matter where the child is born. A child of a US citizen has US citizenship at birth. They are not “naturalized” citizens, and they can be elected POTUS.

I spent more than 20 years in the military, and each of my three kids were born in a different country…but all are US citizens.

Sigh. The thread that Krokodil references is this one.

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?threadid=216687

The responses to that thread establish two facts beyond any doubt. (1) Foreign-born children of U.S. citizens are eligible to be President; and (2) Krokodil is immune to logic, at least on this issue.

Krokodil, as opinions of random people seem to mean more to you than factual responses supported by solid cites to legal authority, I recommend that you ask a moderator to move this thread to IMHO.

Kokodil, why would the individual overseas-born US citizens know any better about what laws apply to them in re: presidential campaigns?

[QUOTE]
*Originally posted by Krokodil *
Are you a foreign-born child of US citizens? (Military, diplomatic corps, missionary, whatever.) If you are, I really want to know your answer to this question. If you’re not, I really don’t.

[QUOTE]
I said it in the other thread and I’ll say it here again: this is the stupidest way of determining the validity of an opinion. So the opinions of a lawyer or a Supreme Court Justice are worthless? And the opinion of someone born abroad is valuable even if he is totally ignorant? If that makes sense to you then you are hopeless.

So you don’t like the responses you are getting in one thread. What makes you think the responses will be any different in another thread? You are still wrong and all the evidence shows you are wrong.

If you are going to start another thread asking the same question in hope of getting a different answer I would recommend you try a different board. Not one where lawyers post. Maybe one for pre-teens would yield the answer you are looking for.

The OP of this thread is in error. The actual laws and actual cases that apply were cited and his attention was directed to those actual laws and actual cases.

The mere existance of this thread proves he’s still blowing off the answer from those who know.

Krokodil, the question has been answered factually and comprehensively in the previous thread.

Do not begin threads just because you are personally dissatisfied with factual answers. Try this again and risk losing your posting privileges. You have been warned.

-xash
General Questions Moderator