forgoten posts

i have a bad habit of posting a question, and forgeting to that i did, therefore never getting the answer. so instead of reposting all of them, i’ll just lump them all here. i promise to check back this time. realy.
Bell’s Therom:

i saw a show on TLC about “Bell’s Therom” which was basicly, that if you created two particles (they didn’t get into how), and then changed the polairty (or rotation) of one, the other would change also, instantly, no matter how far apart they are. so this got me to thinking, what if you made these particles, and put one on a ship (this is starting to sound Enstien-ish huh?), and changed the polairity (or rotation) of one of them back and forth, you could send messages faster than light. now, my question is, am i overlooking somthing huge that would keep this from working? or have i stumbled onto somthing big here? or or has someone already thought of this?
and now for a much simpler question;

would you get dizzy if you stood perfectly on the north pole? and would you be thrown to one side if you leaned to far off center? (like you do in your office chair)

eggo

Last I heard, an experiment utilizing Bell’s Theorem/EPR Paradox was having limited success. Silver atoms were being used, one in the US and one in Europe.

This was years ago, though, so I’ll see if I can find some updated information…but you have to promise not to forget that you started this thread.

-David

Haven’t found the information on the silver atoms yet, but maybe these articles on photons will help.

http://www.sciam.com/askexpert/physics/physics29.html

http://www.sciam.com/explorations/122297teleport/index.html

-David

No matter where you stand on the Earth you will go around in a circle (if of course you’re standing still) only once a day. You’ll only get dizzy if you spin in circles yourself or take certain drugs.

Slight misconception; they didn’t change the polarity of the particle, they measured it to find out what it was. And whichever way it’s spin or polarity is, the spin of the other particle will always be the exact opposite. The reason this seems to involve faster than light communication is that it can be proven that the second particle didn’t have a fixed or determinate spin until the measurement was made on the first particle. However, it’s been shown that there’s no way to use this effect to transmit information.

Here are your forgotten posts with the way you asked them the first time and the answers you got, then:

http://www.straightdope.com/ubb/Forum3/HTML/003633.html

http://www.straightdope.com/ubb/Forum3/HTML/004717.html

The search engine is working, now, so if you remember anything else you wanted to look up, you should be able to find it.

Tom~

Here’s an experiment you can perform to see if you would get dizzy standing at the North Pole:

Stand in one place and rotate clockwise 15 degrees every hour. At this rate you will be rotating at a rate of once every 24 hours, just like the Earth.

Elmer J. Fudd,
Millionaire.
I own a mansion and a yacht.

Lumpy, I recall seeing within just the past couple of months something on either The Learning Channel (TLC) or Discovery (DSC) regarding a scientist who discovered some very strange, and apparently FTL transmission of waves through a solid-state device he’d built. Not being either a physicist or mathematician, I can’t give precise details, but the effect was clearly demonstrated on camera by the device.

The reporter/narrator then shifted to an interview with another scientist who asserted that the effect may be demonstrable, but that it was not useful for actually transmitting a signal, for the reasons given about Bell’s Theorem. This information was relayed to the first scientist; in the next scene, he transmitted a piece of music from one end of his device to the other faster than a signal transmitted through the air. While the fidelity had picked up a good bit of extraneous ‘noise’, it was still clearly the same piece of music.

“Sounds like a signal to me,” the scientist said.

One good answer to almost any question is a better question.

thanks for the link, i didn’t know the search was up–when did that happen?

eggo

Eggo - did you notice that when you quote by using the red flag the quote comes up in bold? Almost looks like yelling. Yikes!

Oh, I’m gonna keep using these #%@&* codes 'til I get 'em right.