Forgotten movies

I do!

Speaking of…whatever happened to the Dexter Riley series of Disney films? Are they available on Disney+? I always liked them. And the one Kurt Russell film that wasn’t Dexter that should be, The Barefoot Executive.

Speaking of Dick van Dyke, and the recently departed Norman Lear, does anyone recall Cold Turkey? van Dyke starred and Norman Lear (pre-All in the Family) produced. It also featured Edward Everett Horton (in his last role) and Bob Newhart. Great dark satire.

In my house Top Secret is a religion, you’d be accused of heresy if you repeated that blasphemy here :stuck_out_tongue:
If one of us pronounces the sacred words “Mel Tormé” it triggers an avalanche of quotes for no less than half an hour

With how popular Star Wars is one thing I rarely here fans talking about the two Ewok TV movies made in the 80s: Caravan of Courage: An Ewok Adventure and Battle for Endor

Top Secret was on TCM Sunday night. We set a recording because we were going out to dinner. It was half over when we got back. I suggested we watch it later, explaining I don’t like to come into movies I haven’t seen in the middle. But I was overruled by SWMBO. At the end, SWMBO said, ‘I didn’t see Omar Sharif!’ Well…

You all know my story, so it should be no surprise I like Lt. Robin Crusoe, U.S.N. And even as a child, I thought Nancy Kwan was pretty. To this day I think of ‘kau-kau for the sharks’.

He already had been… compacted.

Best Omar Sharif movie ever, don’t come at me with lesser films like Doctor Zhivago or Lawrence of Arabia…

Ack! Jim Hutton.

One vote for Juggernaut (1974).

I saw “Bank Shot” several years ago on TCM. Don’t recall much about it, though. Scott also had another mostly forgotten film “The Last Ride” (1971).

John Huston has a mostly forgotten spy film “The Kremlin Letter” (1970).

This was a direct-to-video movie here in the United States. It’s no surprise it’s been forgotten. I do enjoy the plot summary from Wikipedia though. “From that day on, he hates women with large breasts or who engage in promiscuous behaviour.”

Hmm. Peter Jackson liberally sprinkled a number of homages to various fantasy films into his LotR trilogy, and based on that pic looks like King Theoden’s possessed visage was based on that of the king in that pic.

Long rumored to have been shot/made on a bet that they could not make a movie in a weekend or a couple days, something like that. I believe that is not true, but it was filmed in two or three days, using actors from Corman’s ongoing film projects at the time.

I definitely remember this one, though details are foggy. I want to say he might sell Bibles to widows at one point and my Dad taught me about the Bible-to-widow con, where they look through the obituaries for recently deceased and then try to sell overpriced Bibles to widows claiming they were pre-bought before their husband died. To a kid, this revealed to me the depths of dishonesty some people could go to.

Here’s a movie that, at the time, some people thought would be a huge hit: Big Wednesday. The picture stars Jan-Michael Vincent, William Katt, and Gary Busey as California surfers facing life and the Vietnam War against the backdrop of their love of surfing.

The director, John Milius, was friends with two other directors who also had movies coming out. The three friends agreed to exchange percentage points in their movies. One of the other directors thought Milius’ film would be the most successful.

The other two movies? Star Wars and Close Encounters of the Third Kind.

I don’t remember much about it since I saw it as a child. I remember that Scott spoke with a lisp, and I remember the robbers towing the bank down the street. And I remember a scene after they’d painted the bank and the paint was being washed off by sprinklers. ‘Ballantine’ was furious, and the woman said something like ‘The paint said it was water-based, and it sounded so clean!’

Love it. own it.

I also am a fan of Golden Rendezvous, where Richard Harris is on the ship crew instead of the bomb expert

I remember Palin’s, “The Missionary,” being a decent Python-ish flick.

“Face to Face” 1952 James Mason, Robert Preston

Joseph Conrad’s “Secret Sharer” is paired with Stephen Crane’s “The Bride Comes to Yellow Sky”. A young sea captain proves himself to his crew and the new frontier triumphs over the old.

For me the film is memorable, but it seems to have been lost.

Similar plot in “Paper Moon” 1973

Meet the Parents. Not the famous one with Ben Stiller and Robert De Niro, but the low-budget 1992 indie film it was based on.

I’ve mentioned it here a couple times. If I was one of the guys on Richard Harris’s bomb-disposal team, I’d want to kill him at the end.

I saw a bit of ffolkes on TV some years ago and would like to see it again. I don’t think it’s forgotten, but pretty obscue for a Roger Moore film.