Forgotten movies

Today we met a neighbour who has a cat named Ballantine (named after his late uncle). That reminded me of Bank Shot (1974) starring George C. Scott as Walter Ballantine.

That reminded me of Undercovers Hero (1974) starring Peter Sellers.

As a kid, I L’dMAO at both of these films; but I haven’t seen either of them since their release, at the drive-in with dad.

1. Has anyone seen these films?
  2. What other films do you like that have been ‘forgotten’?

I don’t remember.

I have not seen yours. A movie I find no one remembers or has seen is Pin. Good movie.

Jolly joker.

The early Terry Gilliam film Jabberwocky, starring Michael Plain:

Love Jabberwocky. I played it once and The Missus was like, ‘Seriously?’ Alas. (And ye, I do have it on DVD.)

‘Conqueror… of Fredonia.’ :sweat_smile:

There was French war farce, La grande vadrouille, that had been forgotten until the age of the internet when the chair dance became a meme .

I sure remember the book. I was a Target cashier, and “Pin” was on the checkout stand for quite a while.

Roger Corman’s original Little Shop of Horrors. Even rabid fans of the musical seem to be unaware of it.

Dubious. :thinking:

I can’t think of the musical without thinking of the musical. Roger Corman’s original is the default.

Love Little Shop of Horrors. All versions.

Cormans is my fave.

Watched Top Secret with Val Kilmer. Silly silly farce. But some funny as heck spots.
The ballet was hilarious.

Ben on TCM said it was kinda missed as a solid comedy when released. Rotten Tomatoes called it a Sleeper worth watching.

It’s a bit uneven compared to, say, Airplane! or The Naked Gun, but there are some absolutely brilliant moments in it.

#1, negative.
#2, hmmm, I’ll have to think on that one. I may have forgotten them.

I haven’t seen the films in the OP, but I have seen Jabberwocky, Top Secret!, and the original Little Shop of Horrors. In fact, I grew up on LSoH and have seen it numerous times. I’ve got it on VHS and, I think, DVD.

I started a thread like this several years ago about all those movies I saw years ago at the theater that vanished completely. I’ve never seen them on television later on, or on VHS or DVD or any streaming service:

Birds Do It – Soupy Sales vehicle. He says he hated it.
Last of the Secret Agents – comedy starring the team of Allen and Rossi, who are just as forgotten these days as the movie.

In honotr of Dick Van Dyke’s 98th burthday, here are forgotten films starring him:
Never a Dull Moment – Disney movie with an impressive cast. Besides Dick Van Dyke, there’s Slim Pickens, Ned Glass, Dorothy Provine, and Edward G. Robinson (!!). Directed by Jerry Paris, who did a lot of episodes of THe Dick Van Dyke Show, both as director and actor. Disappeared without a trace.
Lieutenant Robin Crusoe, U.S.N. Another Disney film, starring Van Dyke, Nancy Kwan, and Akim Tamiroff as a Polynesian chief. Probably very politically non-correct these days, so I can understand its disappearance.
Fitzwilly – Van Dyke stars with a lot of actors from TV shows, including Barbara Feldon (in her fitrst movie role), John Fiedler, Norman Fell, and John McGiver. Also with a very young Sam Waterston.

One vote for the Flim Flam Man.

Starred George C Scott who played a conman in the rural south. A few years later he would garner great acclaim for his title role in Patton, but this amusing 1967 comedy is frequently overlooked

I remember the ads for that on TV, but I’ve never seen the movie. And haven’t seen it being shown on TV or any media format.

How about Alakazam the Great – 1960 anime originally entitled Saiyuki and translated into English with the voices of Jonathan Winters, Arnold Stang, and Frankie Avalon (! – singing only). It’s really based on the Buddhist tale “Journey to the West”, and when I first encountered that story later in life I was at first baffled by its familiarity before realizing that I’d seen it before.

This one has shown up on home media, but I’ve never seen it there. And I don’t recall ever seeing it on TV. I saw this at a local movie matinee when I was a kid,.

Anybody remember Who’s Minding the Mint? A Dean Jones caper comedy with a cast recognizable to any 10 year old watching afternoon reruns in the 1970s. I saw it at a children’s matinee in 1971 and it completely disappeared until it became available to rent on Amazon about a decade ago.

I do, and I still love it. An underappreciated comedy gem with an incredible cast (including, again Dorothy Provine):

It’s currently on Amazon Prime.

And if we’re talking forgotten animated films, how about Twice Upon a Time?