found wallet from the 70's

Zaba Search is pretty effective. You can use the subject’s year of birth to narrow the returns:
http://www.zabasearch.com/advanced.php

The seventies were a simplier time dudes. It was a big deal when we got a color TV in '71. :cool: “Laverne and Shirley” was the at the peak of pop culture. :eek: And Al Gore had yet to invent the internet! :smiley:

Identity fraud was not the major problem that it is today because of how slow information was processed and a paper trail was always left behind. It was about this time that the debate over whether to use a SS number as a national ID started up and that company started losing business. But that’s a topic for another thread.

Does the wallet have any metal charge plates? My mother used to have a couple bare metal plates, embossed with a charge number, in her wallet during the 1970s. Some department stores in the area didn’t switch over to plastic credit cards until the late 1970s.

It’s not that expensive anyway. I wouldn’t let $20 or so stand between me and the pleasure of returning something like that after so many years.

Derleth, chill. I totally second what **Si Amigo ** is saying. SS#s were used for everything back in the 70s, and no one batted an eye, mostly because, I imagine, there was very little hanky-panky one could easily commit with the information.

If you want to scare him, put a really old condom in the wallet before returning it and mention casually that that particular brand was known for defects. He may start to wonder if he has a long-lost 30 year-old child.

Seconded- it’s amazing how many people you can find with Zabasearch and the intial level search is free.

Keep us posted!

Man’s Wallet Returned After 62 Years

Zaba search didn’t work. Social security death index returns zero hits on the ss# (does that mean they don’t have the # on record, or the person isn’t dead yet?).

I took Walloon up on his offer and sent the info to him, waiting to hear back if he has had any luck.

The Social Security Death Index contains records of people who had Social Security numbers and whose deaths were reported to the Social Security Administration from 1962 to the present. There is about a four-month delay between a person’s death and his appearance in the Social Security Death Index on RootsWeb. Ancestry.com’s version of the SSDI is a little quicker, but it’s a paid subscription service.

My offer still stands to research the person for you. Just e-mail me his name and date of birth.

Ah… interesting. Walloon, I sent you an email last night. Maybe it got caught in a spam filter? No way to send you a private msg here either. I’ll add my email address to my acct, if you could send me one (assuming you can’t find the one I sent to you), I’ll get the info to you. Much appreciated!

Actually you could send messages on the new server.

Pool, what do you mean? I tried sending private msg by clicking on Walloon’s name – and yours – and was told I don’t have permission. (Sorry to hijack my own thread…)

filmyak, my internet service provider sends me a daily report of e-mail that it has tentatively itendified as spam, with the option to have any piece delivered at my request. I’ll look for your e-mail this evening.

They are testing the new server on a different IP address with a copy of the SDMB running on it here:

http://208.100.26.199/sdmb/

All functions, including user post editing and the private messaging system are enabled, in order to run a complete test.

Ah, excellent!

Walloon, I just sent you a msg on the other server. =)

Walloon if you do find the guy please keep us up to date.

filmyak, was your e-mail sent via aol.com? I got a blank message from someone (no subject line either) sent at 5:07 pm Friday.

Nope, wasn’t me. Replied to your email last night though, sent the info. Did you receive it? Also sent the msg on the other server (see a few msgs above this one) to your in box here.