Foundation series trailer (Apple TV+)

I kind of wonder if Preem Palver and his wife are going to be portrayed as they were written (i.e., as if they fell into a space/time warp from the mid-20th century Garment District).

They’d better not be!

I can see one or two re-genderings. Anything more is pure wank.
Now I see they’re changing the emperor Cleon I to someone named Brother Day. I guess royalty is no longer in.
What next? The Mule will be some regular person who will not be physically challenged in any way?
You know, I should have seen this coming. Add to the fact that this is an Apple production, I’m passing. No way am I subscribing to yet another streaming service.

Those books meant the world to me in my younger days and this really pisses me off. In fact I think I’ll be hoping to indulge in some schadenfreude and want to see this tank, so someone else will have a shot at making this more true to the books.

I don’t have an Apple TV+ subscription, so I’ll never see this show, but I really doubt that anyone else will be able to try again. For one thing, people rarely try to adapt the same property once there’s been an attempt, successful or not. Second, Apple almost certainly owns the rights so no one else can adapt the books.

Rights expire.

This is getting a hard pass from me. I always thought the prequels and the attempt to make everything one was stupid and a sign that an author has totally run out of ideas. Add in the trend of adapters writing stuff wholesale that the author never intended or likely would have tolerated and you get, well, Season 7 & 8 of Game of Thrones, or the fiasco that is Night Watch.

I’m still willing to give it a try, but I have to admit I’m feeling wary.

This might be the thing that makes me sign up for Apple+.

Welp, “Defending Jacob,” an Apple TV+ show that debuted in April 2020 was just released on DVD and Bluray this week, the first ATV+ show to surface elsewhere, so if anyone was holding their breath for that to happen, it was only 15 months.

I think a lot of people (such as myself) assumed most ATV+ deals would be exclusive at least for a very long time, especially given that ATV+ has effectively no back catalog and Apple’s own reputation for controlling the whole stack.

It’s probably still a good guess that Defending Jacob and Foundation have very different exclusivity deals, but at least this means there could be a glimmer of hope for Foundation fans who are DVD/Bluray people.

I don’t mind waiting, especially if the reviews are so-so, as I suspect they will be, given all the changes made to Asimov’s work.

I read the trilogy as a kid, but always said a Foundation movie would put me to sleep.

Foundation has all of that . It does not have much action, however.

Cigars, yes, that was due to Campbell who insisted Asimov add smoking scenes. Asimov himself hated smoking.

Official trailer just dropped:

I think there are more action scenes in a 2:48 trailer than there were in the entire original trilogy plus the two sequels.

So basically the first book with a lot of flashbacks (and adding some space battles), or a prequal (with space battles) with a lot of flash forwards to the first book?

I doubt they are getting to the Mule yet.

It looks like a rather generic SF series. But hey, that may be the price to pay to have the books filmed. It does indeed seem as if they dilute the plot with a lot of fighting scenes: the plot of the first part of the first book could easily be told in an hour or so.

I think it looks pretty good, given what they have to do to sell what would otherwise be a pretty dry teleplay.

Well, yeah. If you think about it, Asimov is pretty much the definition of generic SF, as he was one of the people who basically invented the genre.