Fountain pen lovers' color wheel

from here

Which of these inks do you recognize?

My favorite on the list is Iroshizuku Ku-jaku, a beautiful peacock blue…

I recognize many if not most of them, although in my fifty-odd inks I only presently own eight of those listed.

I’ve been eyeing Iroshizuku Yama_Budo, which is supposed to be a nice deep purple color, but I’ve been reading that it turns a shade of brown when it dries. That’s not the look I’m going for in my bullet journal. Anyone have any experience with Yama-Budo?

I have to use up my Solferino before I allow myself a bottle of Yama-budo (I have rules), but I do not think it dries brown. It has a coppery overtone over the violet. My favorite ink reviewer is Mountain Of Ink

Thanks for the info and the blog link. Beautiful blog!

Oh, you mean Pantone 321!

(Sorry, just retired… trying to transition from graphic designer to normal human.)

An interesting topic would be “Do people from different disciplines divide colors differently? Or even see them differently?” I would think fountain pen people would be far beyond mere mortals.

I don’t know how graphic designers see color, but fountain pen inks have shade, shimmer, undertones, gloss and the quality for the pen varies. So people aren’t just looking at the color. There are a lot of other qualities they’re looking for.

Recognized a few of them but didn’t see my goto: J.Herbin Eclat de Saphir. Kinda purple, kinda blue, kinda neither.

Sheen? That’s what they call it where I hang my fountain pen hat.

There’s also wetness/flow, lubrication, dry time, water resistance, saturation, and probably many others.

On the negative side, there can be spreading or feathering, nib crud, staining and clogging (again, probably many others).

I mostly don’t pay attention to most of those. I tried shimmer inks and gave it up as a bad job. Shading doesn’t show up much in normal writing unless you are using a wide nib, and even then not much. So wetness for writing pleasure, and how it dries for the end result on the page, are the main ones for me. As for the colors above, I recognize maybe 1/2 of the names, and have fewer of them. I notice a distinct lack of browns and greys in the list, which is fine with me.

Shading is the funnest in wet noodle nibs. Of which I am an aficionado. On the other hand shimmer (I call it nanoglitter) never works for me.

Right now I’m content to admire fountain pens and inks from a distance, but I have started keeping an assortment of gel ink pen colors at my desk (blue-black is my favorite, and the most practical for documents). For the chart, I do think you could add two more columns: Swarovski crystal fans, and Fiestaware collectors. :grin:

BTW, the “Artists’” colors are more like designers’ colors. Painters have an entirely different vocabulary. And oil, acrylic and watercolors are very different.

I just want to thank the OP for this thread. I’ve had a passing interest in fountain pens for a long time. I knew that there was a variety of ink colours but had no idea how many there actually were.

Since this thread, I have bought a few starter pens and got a handful of ink samples. My handwriting is generally terrible and this is pushing me to improve. I’ve learned that a medium nib is better for me than fine point. Now, after writing with a $20 Kaweco pen with a steel nib I have to wonder what a $2000+ Namiki with a gold nib is like?

I do love Kon-peki, but I’m really enjoying Black Swan in Australian Roses (Noodlers) which I have in my Pelikan M400 - I guess it’s kinda Amethyst/Black (depending on the shading). I looking at a Yama-Budo or Poussiere de Lune in the near future (I’ve heard Noodlers, especially bulletproof or semi-bulletproof, can stain if one isn’t careful).

One of us! Welcome to the world of fountain pens! :smile:

If you ask on the Reddit sub, someone will answer your Namiki question, I’m pretty sure. I’ve seen people asking about other pens before in the comments and get lots of nice answers. You could also post a picture of your new pen and ask there. From what I’ve seen, it’s a really nice community. Some guy there died, and they did something for his widow recently.

Beware though, you’ll be wanting all kinds of pens and inks you never knew existed. There’s some gorgeous stuff there, along with some nice artwork.

The other place people talk about is The Fountain Pen Network. I haven’t been there in ages, so I can’t speak for it.

Hope you have fun with your new pens and inks!

I’ve heard of a few cases of clogging too if left in the pen too long. But I’ve never tried Noodler’s before so that’s all hearsay.

Y’all are right handed, aren’t you.

I enjoy playing with fountain pens, but it’s just too hard to keep them from smudging and staining my hand.

Also, that’s NOT Kelly green, it’s too light.

Just did a quick search on reddit for left-handed pens and got a ton of hits. Here’s a couple. From reading the comments, most lefties don’t have a problem with smudging. They give tips on nib sizes, certain inks and papers. But I think there are left handed fountain pens. I don’t know the difference though.

https://old.reddit.com/r/fountainpens/comments/jncmil/left_handed_fountain_pen_noob_questions/

https://old.reddit.com/r/fountainpens/comments/8bqbrc/question_how_do_left_handed_fountain_pens_work/

https://old.reddit.com/r/fountainpens/comments/oa55vq/what_are_some_fountain_pens_for_lefthanded_people/

That is one thing that I was not prepared for. The fact that there is some paper that is better for fountain pens than others. My father always used pads of Rhodia graph paper, which I now know is one of the better papers for fountain pens. In Canada those pads retail for $10+.

And not to mention the confusion that I have over the Tomoe River paper change.

The issue isn’t the shape of the nib. The issue is that if you write with your left hand, your hand sits on the part of the paper you’ve just written on. Writing in Hebrew i never smudged paper.

And yes, if the paper absorbs the ink quickly enough it is less of an issue. But my experience with fountain and dip pens was that the ink tends to sit liquid, above the paper, for a bit. Yes, it shimmers. But unless I am extremely careful, it also smudged.

You can tell that Hebrew is an older written language, because Hebrew is written in the direction that is more convenient for a right handed person if you are engraving in stone. But English and similar are written in the direction that is more convenient for a right-handed person wielding a pen on parchment.