Fox News' Conservative Daily Show: The 1/2 Hour News Hour

[QUOTE=Evil One]
On another note, it was amusing to see a number of “rebuttal” clips to the show on the internet. Nobody seems to care when the daily show or other humor outlets mock anything right of center…so why do these people think it matters if they have an issue with left-based humor?
[/QUOTE]

Not sure I understand your question here. Are you asking why there are videos “rebutting” this show, but not the Daily Show?

I don’t know that there aren’t attempted rebuttals to the Daily Show but I can point out that it doesn’t give critics much to rebut from a factual perspective. TDS also hits both sides, so it’s not really a parallel to this Fox thing. I would guess the main reason there are rebuttals to it, though, is just because its new.

[QUOTE=Evil One]

On another note, it was amusing to see a number of “rebuttal” clips to the show on the internet. Nobody seems to care when the daily show or other humor outlets mock anything right of center…so why do these people think it matters if they have an issue with left-based humor?
[/QUOTE]

Well, it’s been said before but bears repeating: The Daily Show is not a show devoted to making fun of conservatives. It’s a show devoted to making fun of (primarily,) politics. Back when Clinton was in the White House, TDS tore him apart just as much as the do Bush, just over sex scandals, not wars. Even today, TDS will still make fun of democrats and liberals. I haven’t watched in a long time, but I bet they have done some bit about Obama more than a couple times, and I know poor Ted Kennedy is an easy target for them, as well.

[QUOTE=bouv]
Well, it’s been said before but bears repeating: The Daily Show is not a show devoted to making fun of conservatives. It’s a show devoted to making fun of (primarily,) politics.
[/QUOTE]

Actually, primarily, of the news media.

This thing looks pretty awful. The laugh track is horrible and desperate, the hosts are wooden and the jokes are are just mean-spirited and witless. Hillary is a “militant lesbian.” Ho ho ho. Ed Begley drives an electric car. Stop, my ribs.

Good satire has to be rooted in truth. If the jokes are rooted in demagoguery an strawmen, they aren’t going to work. The closest these clips come to genuine, truth-based satire is the “Obamamania” thing. I could actually see the Daily Show doing something like that itself, but it would be funnier.

There’s something hugely flawed about the whole concept of partisan satire. Satire cannot work if it’s partisan, because that means it can’t be honest.

In Coulter’s case? She may have thought she was doing a straight ad and not have realized it was supposed to be satire.

In the immortal words of Darnell “Crabman” Turner: “That bitch is crazy.”

[QUOTE=bouv]
…I bet they have done some bit about Obama more than a couple times…
[/QUOTE]

Yes, they recently interrupted a bit with the sound of an angel choir, and said it could only mean one thing: “Barack Obama did something.”

They used that to introduce their recurring segment on his campaign, “Obamania”, which now appears any time they say anything about him.

a) 911!

b) Why do you hate America?

c) Don’t change the bulb, stay the course.

The Daily Show also titled the standard by which all attractive politicians are measured as the “Barack Obameter”. As in, “Gavin Newsom’s recent sex scandal has pushed the San Francisco mayor to a 9 on the Barack Obameter.”

If anyone wants to see a good example of TDS attacking the left, watch the DVD of their coverage of the 2004 Democratic Convention. They found lots of things to make fun of there.

I’m thinking I should catch TDS and TCR tonight to see if they say anything about this show.

[QUOTE=Talon Karrde]
If anyone wants to see a good example of TDS attacking the left, watch the DVD of their coverage of the 2004 Democratic Convention. They found lots of things to make fun of there.
[/QUOTE]
If it lasts long enough, it’d be interesting* to see how the show would handle the Republican primary. Would they just make fun of the protesters outside? Or Nancy Pelosi or Hilary sitting at home doing something liberal?

*Please note: “interesting” is being used purely on a relative basis

[QUOTE=Talon Karrde]
I’m thinking I should catch TDS and TCR tonight to see if they say anything about this show.
[/QUOTE]

I’d be surprised if they did. At this point, taking a shot at “The 1/2 Hour News Hour” would only draw attention to it and make it look like they’re really afraid of them. Better to ignore the program and let it die a quick death. I think it’s far more likely that “The 1/2 Hours News Hour” will takes shots at TDS and TCR first (but only if it somehow makes it past its first two episodes).

How soon until we see Jon Stewart and TDS just totally raking this POS show over the proverbial coals?

(Lame clip of Rush Limbaugh calling Hillary a lesbian satanist and the laugh track set on 11. Cut to Jon Stewart staring with a look of stunned silence on his face.)

I agree with what everyone else has said. But it was still better than I expected.

Drat, I missed TDS. Did they mention THHNH?

Dunno. I got home a little before 1:30 in the a.m., when CC usually shows TDS and Colbert, and both shows were repeats. The 1 and 1:30 showings are usually repeats of what was shown at 11 and 11:30, so I’m assuming neither had a new show tonight. Maybe somebody who caught them at their regular times can chime in.

[QUOTE=Talon Karrde]
Drat, I missed TDS. Did they mention THHNH?
[/QUOTE]

As usual, TDS has taken the excuse of a four-day week to send everyone on vacation, and show reruns all week.

[QUOTE=scotandrsn]
They used that to introduce their recurring segment on his campaign, “Obamania”, which now appears any time they say anything about him.
[/QUOTE]

The opening of the segment features cheering teenagers, a play on the old “Beatlemania” of the '60s.

My favorite Daily Show Obama joke was one about his new campaign slogan: (cut to a shot of the Aflac duck) “Half-black!”

[QUOTE=Talon Karrde]
Drat, I missed TDS. Did they mention THHNH?
[/QUOTE]

Not yet, due to the aforementioned reruns. However, Countdown is doing a daily segment this week where they place a laugh track on real Fox Noise programs.

Funnier than THHNH, IMHO.

[QUOTE=want2know]
…Countdown is doing a daily segment this week where they place a laugh track on real Fox Noise programs.
[/QUOTE]

I saw some of those on Youtube while searching for HHNH clips… Thought they were put together by just some bored leftists. They’re kinda funny. (so the point of this nearly pointless post.. you could find those clips on youtube).

[QUOTE=Beware of Doug]
The Rush/Coulter clip wasn’t that terrible. Anybody notice Ann’s bit at the end? “And if you don’t (watch), we’ll invade your country, kill your leaders and convert you to Christianity!” What’s that if not righty-tighty self-deprecation?
[/QUOTE]
A lunatic quoting herself (cite)? It’s not funny since it’s really just an extension of her “serious” views where she writes whole books explaining why liberals are traitors and dangerous to America. It’s like having Reagan saying “trickle down economics!” with a laugh track. I don’t see the humor.

Ugh. This show was almost too awful to watch, much like Hannity and Colmes