FoxTrot and Get Fuzzy, 4/1

Here is a link (scroll down to April Fool’s in comics).

FYI, The link requires you to enroll.

Who began the joke? Darby?

From Bill Amend’s Web Page :

From the WTF department…
Nothing like confusing the heck out a few million newspaper comics readers to get the ol’ e-mail flowing. As most of you who wrote me guessed, the April 1st near-identical FoxTrot, Get Fuzzy and Pearls Before Swine strips were done as an April Fool’s joke. This is the sort of thing that happens when cartoonists get too little sleep and then talk on the phone. If you thought it was funny, I’m happy to accept a third of the credit. If you thought it was annoying, well, blame Pastis, it was his idea.
All three strips are shown on that page, if you want one-stop shopping.

Possibly, but I doubt that the situation to truly get susie in on it could have occured in three pannels. -Unless Wormwood allowed a show and tell or something… (Of course Calvin would have to have “found” it in the last 5 seconds before the bus came). I assumed Hobbes would have done it, because he always has the elaborate set-up for a joke, where calvin goes for it from the start.
One series has Calvin asking Hobbes [[Horribly paraphrased here]] “A penny for your thoughts…” “Nope… not gonna tell you for less than 20…” “What about 5?” “Look I’ll make it ten… it is a great price at ten” Calvin pays up, and Hobbes tells all:

A fool and his money are soon parted

Of course Garfield would have been the one to have the board in his strip. But, as the animals never ““Really”” speak ((Save for that Real Early stip where Layman speaks for odie)) it would have been hard to do.

IRRC, he doesn’t get the last word out before Calvin pounces him.

What really made this fun for me is that, in the Kansas City Star, “Get Fuzzy”, “Foxtrot” and “Pearls” are the first three strips at the top of the page. It also made it easy to clip out of the paper, along with the date at the top of the page. This one’s a keeper!