Franken-eggs

Sitting here, leisurely going over the message boards over a sumptuous lunch of egg-in-a-cup (with salt), I was struck by an alarming thought. Eggs are among my favourite foods. Genetically modified anything is among my least favourite foods. Have they found a way to genetically modify hen eggs? I’m worried!

Human have been selectively breeding chickens for centuries. So yes, the eggs have been genetically altered.

I find the thought of egg-in-a-cup alarming in and of itself. :wink:

I’m sorry to intrude here, but how does one prepare a sumptuous meal of “egg in a cup”?
Just wondering :slight_smile:
Zette

A friend is someone who likes you even though you’re as ugly as a hat full of assholes.
Zettecity

Although this isn’t done in the industry, you could inject eggs with corticosterone (a glucocorticoid hormone)to induce premature somatotroph (the pituitary cells that produce growth hormone) differentiation. More somatotrophs and their presence at an earlier age–more growth hormone and potentially bigger chickens/turkeys. Not exactly genetic alteration, but manipulation just the same.

They don’t do this now, but the research is funded.

Happy Thanksgiving :wink:

Recipe for Egg in a Cup à la Canadienne:

Two eggs
Cup
Salt (to taste)
Microwave oven
Fork

Break eggs into the cup. I suggest a large mug or bowl-with-handle type of cup. Beat them a little bit, to break the yolks and scramble them slightly. Nuke for two minutes. Salt. Let cool. Eat.

(Historical note: This is the 3,501st post to General Questions!)

Phooey. I misread the table of contents.

Add some dried chives. And fresh ground pepper. :slight_smile:
Peace,
mangeorge

Work like you don’t need the money…
Love like you’ve never been hurt…
Dance like nobody’s watching! …(Paraphrased)

Matt-
I’ve seen that recipe- except my husband makes it in my good bowls…leaves the egg in there and it’s like trying to scrape off barnicles…Thanks for the tip!
Zette

A friend is someone who likes you even though you’re as ugly as a hat full of assholes.
Zettecity

I myself don’t worry much about genetically engineered food. I find the fear of it highly irrational. But recently I was making deviled eggs, and I found that an uncommon portion of the eggs I had two small yolk sacks rather than one big one. It could be that this is a fairly common phenomenon to those who know about poultry. But I wondered whether this was possibly a sign of genetic engineering. If that’s the case, I think that would be a lousy way for people to find out.

Double yolks do occur naturally.

I figured they probably did. But I was getting them in half the eggs I used. If I made deviled eggs in the fashion that most people seem to – with the filling as only peeking out over the opening in the egg, it might have made for some queer looking deviled eggs. But I fill the yolk cavity and spread more filling across the top, so that the mutant egg is effectively covered up.

But imagine that you’re serving deviled eggs at a party, and you didn’t have the holes covered up and your guests could see that half your eggs have these mutant yolk sacks. Somebody’s going to think that’s a pretty freaky coincidence. You can say, “It’s probably not from genetically engineered chickens, it’s probably from inbred chickens expressing their recessive genes.” But your guests will have already decided that they’re eating nuclear radioactive mutant chickens that nature never intended, and will probably get a psycho-somatic illness and blame you.

So the question becomes, can you be sued for suffering caused by giving people food that they have irrational fears about?

My brother-in-law used to manage an egg farm. They would sort out the double-yolkers when they candled the eggs and sell them separately.
I think they wound up in bars on the East Coast. Go figger. ILNY :slight_smile:
Peace,
mangeorge

Work like you don’t need the money…
Love like you’ve never been hurt…
Dance like nobody’s watching! …(Paraphrased)

Since eggs are the unfertilized menstrual waste of fowl, any genetic engineering can only improve them, IMO.

Peace.

That’s even better than “liquid chickens”!! :smiley:

moriah–I wouldn’t characterize poultry eggs as menstrual waste (birds aren’t menstrual), but I think I know what you’re saying. Just like a human female will ovulate once a month, a chicken will also ovulate eggs about once a day for an period of days (a clutch), whether they’ve been fertilized or not. The eggs in the store that we eat haven’t been fertilized; the hens are not inseminated, and so I see your analogy. Obviously, the eggs needed to produce eatin’ chickens have been fertilized and wouldn’t be waste.

As long as we’re on the subject, what’s the point of the fertile eggs I see in stores? I assume they’re for eating, but why "fertile?
Haven’t had the huevos to eat any yet.
Peace,
mangeorge

I see enough eggs in the course of my job, so I don’t buy 'em the store. I don’t get the point of buying fertile eggs either. You would really need to incubate them to induce a difference and that would cost money (in addition to having them inseminated). They’re usually refrigerated after they’re laid. If they haven’t been incubated, what’s the point? I still like the occasional Egg McMuffin, though. A brownie point for the pun in my last post. :wink:

Re fear of GMF:

It’s not that I fear such foods. It’s that I disagree on principle with the idea of being a guinea pig.