Fraternal "Clubs"/"Lodges" and what they do? (Eagles, Elks, Moose, etc.)

Doesn’t surprise me at all. Good for the Mooses.

My Lodge ** The Royal Order of Water Buffalos** tends to have big BBq’s we’re into ribs, wear horned hats and drink. Tho IIRC we had Beauty Contest once (don’t tell my wife I was a judge :wink: )as well as a golf turney – and in one case we had a “field day” in which I dumped my pal Barney as Lodge field day partner in favor of that trophy-rich Joe Rockhead… But I came to regret that move.

Reminds me of a story: My father and I were driving me down to college in Arizona, and we stopped in a hokey town in the panhandle of Texas for the night. We couldn’t find a liquor store for a beer, so we sat down in the hotel restaurant and asked the waitress where one was. She said (in all her southern drawl), “Aw honey, it’s a dry county. Ain’t no liquor stores 'round here. . .” “What’s a dry county?” “No alcohol, unless you’re a member of the club. But, since you guys are staying in the hotel, you’re automatically honorary members.” Wow. Honorary membership never tasted so good. :smiley:

Back to the thread. . .
So, if you have to be a Freemason to be a Shriner, what’s the difference. What makes 'em Shriners? Also, what’s the difference between the American Legion and VFW. I know both are veterans groups . . .

Tripler
Honorary member of this thread, too.

I think the rules have been changed or loosened over the last decade, but historically the American Legion is open to any vet, while the VFW is limited to those who are Veterans of Foreign Wars (i.e., those of us who have the red and yellow National Defense Service Medal. The DSM has only been around ~50 years and pre-Korea vets have other qualifications they must meet).

Oof, was I wrong on that one…here are VFW requirements. :o :smack:

And the Legion.