Fred Phelps at my college! suggestions?

I’d say just snort at him. Point and laugh and then just move on.

He likes attention, and he’s crazier than a shithouse rat. He’s more of the village nutbar.

He’s like the crazy guy everyone remembers. “Oh, it’s Crazy Fred again.”

And then move on.

Or tell him he turns you on. That ought to do it. Bonus points if you can goose him.

** IF YOU OUTLAW FAGS, ONLY TERRORISTS WILL BE FAGS.**.

**Guinastasia wrote:

I’d say just snort at him. Point and laugh and then just move on.**

I’d like to second this idea! Don’t engage him, as he thrives on the attention, just quietly let it be know his making an ass of himself.

Merciful Allah, that is *funny *

Seriously, I’d ignore him. Maybe just laugh and move on. But the idea of some people breaking into seemingly spontaneous musical theater is DAMN funny!

Of course, he wouldn’t get it. I think the effort would be wasted.

I went to an anti-Fred protest once. I have to say that neither side was very affected by the other side. We mostly chanted about stopping hate crimes etc while Fred and his group (of 5 people!) said things like, “Jesus hates fags.”

I would say that our protest didn’t change Fred’s mind in any way, but it made us feel better to do something to show that our city doesn’t agree with Fred Phelps. In fact, I would say that his visit here strengthened our gay community.

My friends were half-hoping that he would have a lot of his anti-gay protesters out on the Saturday before the protest trying to stir up trouble. They were hoping that one would pick a fight with one of them so that they could beat him up and then write, “I got my ass kicked by a fag,” on his forehead.

We all know you can’t fight hate with more hate and violence, but we thought it was a hilarious idea.

king of spain , I would suggest going for humor. As a veteran of many Phelps counter protests I know you are not going to change his mind. I’m a resident of Topeka Kansas myself, and even got mentioned in a fax once(long ago, very small print, with lots of other names).

For whatever road the response takes:

1. Have someone stand back and video whatever you do. They often do this themselves, and you never know when you might need evidence, if something did happen.

2. DO NOT approach to within touching distance, whatever that might be. Better yet, double whatever such a distance might be. The Phelp’s once tackeled the minister of the church I was a member of at the time, accusing him of attempted assault. I won’t go into the details, if you want them email me.

3. Don’t have a debate. He doesn’t obey the rules of any encounter, so don’t waste your time.

4. If you sing hymns they may sing back. Or they may howl like dogs. A group of us once(years back) stood across the street from them and sang carols at Christmas(the group was mixed, straight and gay, Christian and non-Christian, the carols mostly religious but some secular) They mostly howled, and by the second time we sang they had made a sign just for us “Sodomite Singers” Hmm, wait a minute, BAND NAME!

5. He may not actually show himself, even if some of his clan does. He’s looking very ill lately, and has quickly aged in the last couple of years. It is more likely it will only be the drones that show up, if they do at all. If you check their protest schedule they can’t possibly make all of the dates they say they will, but it looks good on paper. They have a tendency to “postpone” not show up, and let everybody forget about it.

BTW, what is your location? They do, or say they do, a lot of picketing of various productions of The Laramie Project.

Keep us informed!

I’d heard a rumor that Fred had pancreatic cancer, although I don’t know if it is true.

Good advice from Baker. Don’t get in a physical confrontation with the clan even if they start it. Several of them are lawyers and litigious.