Freelancer.com

Anyone ever work through this site? I just signed up and was wondering if anyone had any impressions, experiences or concerns. Also, what’s with the bidding system? I bid on a project offering to do it for a total of $200. The budget for the project was $30-$250. But, the client said he would only pay up to $30. :confused: Well, $30 for what? Per article? Per day? Milestone? :dubious: The FAQ didn’t have anything about that distinction. So, what say you teeming masses?

I just took a quick look at the site and pulled up some freelance writing listings. The pay rate is absolutely ludicrous. I can’t imagine a professional working for that little. Unless you’re pretty desperate, I would avoid it.

As an example, one listing was looking for someone to write 300-500 word articles for $2.00 to $2.50 each. It’s flat-out insulting.

I’m wondering if it pulls out international work. Years ago I did some technical writing for a company and it paid decent, till they informed me they were moving it to India. The price went from 20¢ - 50¢ per word to 10¢ per page.

At that point I stopped.

The price may be enough to keep people in some countries interested.

It must, Mark. Nobody could afford to work for the rates they’re quoting in the U.S.

Most of the bids on the site are from overseas. Pakistan and India pop up a lot, I assume because of a good supply of English speakers. Yeah, I just signed up today and after looking at the bids (unless I am really missing something with how the bidding system works), I’m not seeing anything to lure me away from the shop I’m working with now. I just don’t like the feeling of being dependant on one site for work. On that note, any freelancers, former-freelancers or people knowledgable about it have any suggestions for finding work elsewhere?