Fresh Ground Beef

We woke up this morning with a refrigerator problem. I had fresh ground beef I bought yesterday unopened. It was still cool to the touch. Is it still usable?? Also eggs that I bought last week??? Thank you

Food safety Nazis would probably tell you to throw the beef away. But I like to live dangerously…and by “dangerously” I mean not very dangerously at all.

If the beef still feels cool, it should be fine if you use it soon. You’ve really just reduced the fridge shelf-life from several days to somewhat less. Get to cooking as soon as practical, and you shoudl be fine.

The eggs will be more than fine. As Alton Brown is fond of pointing out, the French don’t even refrigerate their eggs. I don’t know how long that means they stay good, but it’s certainly more than mere hours.

The eggs are fine. We keep eggs in a carton on the counter, next to the butter.

The ground beef is probably colder than it was when you brought it home from the grocery store.

Me personally IMO I wouldn’t have a problem with either.
The eggs would probably be the safer of the two as the shell is there for a reason of safety anyway. Hens on the farm don’t lay eggs in exactly sterile conditions.
Granted the bacteria count has gone up, But only if it was not handled properly in production and the bacteria was already present.
Then you’d get sick anyway.

Time to make meatloaf.

What country are you in, and how long do you keep the eggs after purchase?

Western Pennsylvania, USA.

During the winter, a dozen eggs last us a week or two. The rest of the year we are collecting eggs daily from our four hens.

Another data point: my gf and I each consume a couple raw eggs each week (in smoothies).

The beef is probably fine as long as you cook it well. Remember, too, that the refrigerator is insulated; even if it’s not working, it’s keeping things cooler than they would be on the counter.

A month or longer if unfertilized. I just wash my chicken’s eggs and leave them in a basket on the counter after sitting them in the fridge overnight to kill them. We have a rooster but get the eggs the day they are laid and tend to use them within a week.

When subs deploy, they load crates of eggs on and they sit on the floor like the canned goods. [Subs tend to have a couple layers of canned goods on the floor and they get used up as the cruise goes along. Subs are not known for voluminous storage space. mrAru used to load his rack with spare parts and sleep in machinery 1 in a hammock.]

I dont refrigerate eggs unless I bought them reduced because they were close to their bbe date

They last up to month at room.temperature without even the slightest problem.

I don’t know why, but this is the coolest thing ever. I want to keep my eggs on the counter now. (After I use the ones in the fridge, which have been there forever, anyway.)

Do you have any idea what time the 'fridge failed? Or what temp you normally maintain in it?

Personally, I’d frizzle the beef to doneness, and then use it in a casserole–today. (Our 'fridge is set on the low end–35°) Not knowing the age of the eggs, I would either use them in baking or toss them. Since you have hens, why take a chance?

It works best for eggs that have never been chilled, because the shells are porous and changes in temperature can make them absorb extra air.

I mainly keep my eggs this way because room temperature eggs make lighter cakes.

I would cook the ground meat real well. After the Montreal ice storm of '97, everything in our freezer including some roasts and other beef thawed. We were advised to throw it out, but I couldn’t bring myself to. Even the insurance adjuster advised it and they would pay. I couldn’t bring myself to do it and my wife made an enormous stew. Some we ate and the rest froze. It was delicious and no illness resulted.

even in the old times, one can keep whole joints of beef unrefrigerated for a few days but anything put in the grinder has to be eaten that day. in your case, maybe you should cook it immediately, and well-cooked at that.

When I was growing up on the farm, Mom raised chickens. We had to collect the eggs each day, but we only stored them in the refrigerator if they weren’t going to be used soon.

We had to collect them, because we could never teach the hens to roost inside the fridge.

If the beef didn’t get too warm for too long it’s probably fine - but if in doubt, I’d personally err on the side of safety, and not risk getting very unpleasantly sick for the sake of saving a few dollars.

Oh, so they’ve not been industrially washed.

Usually there’s not enough salmonella in a single egg to make normal people too sick (it’s practically extinct in eggs). It’s a crime to cook a key lime pie!

Do you buy normal commercial eggs, though?

I asked for kayker’s location because in many countries there’s no industrial egg-washing process, and eggs indeed do last a month without refrigeration. Most commercial eggs in the United States have been washed, and that’s what makes them spoil without refrigeration. The result is that I refrigerate my Meijer eggs, don’t refrigerate my Comercial Mexicana eggs, and in my present location I try to avoid purchasing counterfeit eggs from the Suguo entirely.