Fresh silken tofu--what do I do with it?

I’m not a vegetarian and have never been all that impressed with soy products–not repulsed or anything, just sort of meh about the whole tofu thing. But here the grocery stores sell fresh silken tofu looks like this and I’m intrigued. What can I make with this stuff? I like spicy foods and am a pretty decent cook with a-well stocked kitchen. Any ideas?

Thanks!

I only make a chocolate pie with silken tofu - otherwise, I can’t really stand the stuff. But the pie is damn good.

Hm. That sounds good and easy. What is a “prepared chocolate wafer crust?”

It should be in the aisle with the chocolate chips and baking supplies and whatnot. Just an aluminum pie pan with a chocolate crust already in it, ready to fill. You could make your own if you want.

I’ve made that pie several times and it is heavenly. I use milk chocolate chips 'cause I like my dessert a little sweeter than, apparently, everyone else on the planet. Oh, and add the vanilla to the chips before you melt them, not afterwards, or the chocolate will seize.

I usually make soup with soft tofu.

My basic recipe: water, hot sauce, soy sauce for the broth. Dice the tofu into large chunks. Add some slices of cucumber and minced green onion. Cook the tofu long enough for the flavor to soak in. Add the vegetables last so they don’t overcook and become mushy. I don’t measure things, so you’ll have to add the hot and soy sauces to taste.

Someone here once gave me a vegan brownie recipe that used silken tofu, but I’m afraid the Doper’s name is eluding me. It was very good. (And I’m not even a vegetarian, let alone vegan.) Maybe she’ll see this and pop in with the recipe. (It wasn’t featherlou, was it?)

You can make a mean pasta sauce with silken tofu. I blend a container’s worth of tofu with a jar of roasted red peppers until it’s smooth and creamy, and then serve over pasta and veggies. Even my parents, who dislike tofu, like it.

I have a pumpkin cheesecake recipe that uses silken tofu, but nothing spicy. I only use silken for blended things.

I use it in place of ricotta cheese for a vegan lasagna, or will mix it with an egg, some breadcrumbs, lots of garlic, a squeezed out block of frozen spinach, salt, pepper, dried basil, and oregano and layer it with slices of eggplant and zucchini for a veggie casserole.

We use it for pumpkin pie each Thanksgiving because of Dweezil’s dairy issues (not allergy, just a sensitivity). It replaces the milk/eggs. It’s not as good as a true pumpkin custard pie - texture isn’t quite right and it’s oddly tangy, but it’s fairly edible. The recipe is on the Mori-Nu website.

A friend once brought over some chocolate pudding made with the stuff and, well, that was nas-tee!

Yes, I smiled and told her it was great and ate a big bowlful. I’m not that unmannerly!

It’s a really good pie, I’ll give it that, but it’s not exactly a “health food”. It’s like half chocolate, half tofu, and half whatever kind of cookie they make the crust out of. Tofu doesn’t cancel out junk food.

Good point I once worked out the calories per serving. You don’t want to know. It is very tasty, though.

The pie is also good augmented with a layer of melted peanut butter chips or mint whipped cream.

It’s even better if you fry it :slight_smile:

If you like spicy foods you absolutely must try making Mabo Dofu. I actually prefer the Japanized version of the dish, which is milder, but they’re both absolutely delicious.

If you love the taste of tofu :o
:mad: No, tofu is NOT tasteless
Eat as a side dish
with ponzu
or with a bit of soy and grated ginger.
Especially good eaten with spicy foods.

Does this work? Most of the silken tofu I’ve seen is extremely soft–even the “firm” varieties. I’d think it woud pretty much be mush by the time you got everything cooked.

My amazingly yummy cream of mushroom soup uses silken tofu: Ann Nicholson Haralambie, Attorney, P.C. | Tucson Divorce Child Custody Child Welfare Lawyer
(note: that recipe makes a LOT of soup–I tend to cook with leftovers in mind.)

I’ve never had a problem with that happening, but I generally mash everything together once it’s on my plate so I don’t think it would bother me even so.

I always thought “silken” tofu was the soft, slimy kind, as distinguished from “firm” tofu. I didn’t think there was such a thing as firm silken tofu.

It isn’t really very firm at all compared to the (I think) Chinese variety that you get refrigerated and packed in water. It’s just firmer than the softest type of silken tofu. I thinks it’s what Japanese restaurants use in miso soup–it’s firm enough to cube, but not firm enough to fry.