Freya Hoffmeister attempting first solo kayak circumnavigation of South America.

A friend of mine who is a devoted sea kayaker told me about his kayaking idol Freya Hoffmeister. She has kayaked solo around Australia, and is in the process of circumnavigating her second continent - South America.

She’s paddled 3462 kilometers so far, and is doing this in three eight month long stretches, hoping to finish the trip to celebrate her 50th birthday. She’s going clockwise, having departed Buenos Aires on August 30th, getting Tierra del Fuego, the scariest part of the trip, out of the way first. Though I’d imagine the trip through the Panama Canal should be lots of fun as well.

She’s a successful business owner, former gymnast, former Miss Germany contestant, body-builder and sky-diver (she has sky-dived onto the North Pole). In a world where celebrities get attention for nothing more than existing, here is someone doing something extraordinary and being pretty much ignored.

Very cool. I’ve long enjoyed seeing satories about people doing stuff like that, going back to when I first read about Richard Halliburton and Thor Heyerdahl several years ago.

It’s good to see there are still people like that out there.

Wow. Interesting person. Cool endeavor. I approve.

Yeah, I was reading about her circumnavigation of Australia. She took a 357 mile “shortcut” across the Gulf of Carpentaria that took 8 days of paddling, which meant she had to sleep in the kayak. How the hell do you do that?

Meanwhile, Kim Kardasian got a new puppy.

I knew as soon as I saw the name Freya that she’d be interesting. :slight_smile:

Bumping one last time to allow people to reflect on the fact that she spent 8 days in a kayak traveling across a stretch of water roughly the same size as the Black Sea. Solo. No support boat traveling alongside her. That meant she she did everything in a kayak - eating, sleeping and even pooping. How the hell do you poop off the side of a kayak? How could anyone sleep in a kayak?

Hopefully this extra bump won’t annoy the admins, but Hoffmeister has successfully made her way around the Horn.

Awesome!

Maybe this book explains it?

I found the book, Sailing Alone Around the World, to be incredibly fascinating. Especially the section where he sailed through the Straits of Magellan in the late 1800s.

The quote about the book has this from the author: “her vanity and pigheadedness paled next to her nearly superhuman ability to master fear and persevere.”

It’s like the old saying “well-behaved women rarely make history.”

Hoffmeister has started the second leg of her trip. She took a planned break from May to August for winter, and started up again on August 25th. As of this moment she is in Mollendo, Peru and coming up on 10,000 km.

Meanwhile Kim Kardasian’s puppy is now housebroken and no longer shits in her purse.

Changed the title for you as you wanted, gaffa.

Thank you.

Not to minimize the accomplishment, but circumnavigation-circumschmavigation, try kayaking across open ocean from California to Hawaii, unsupported, with no intermittent landings.

Ed Gillette did it, and wrote about it here: