Fried chicken joints, faves and why

Virginia Beach Dopers probably remember Pollard’s Chicken. Head over on Tuesday for the chicken liver and gizzard special.

Hotel Talisi, in Tallassee, Alabama, has amazing fried chicken.

Chicken and Waffles go back to at least the 19th century. Appears to probably be a dish from Southern Blacks. At least, that’s how the popularity spread. Probably.

http://www.brookvillehotel.com/art1.htm

Thread over. I win.

Gotta be Chick-Fil-A. For the past several years, we’ve been buying the large nugget tray for the big family Christmas get-together. There are never any leftovers.

Well, there are two kinds of chicken and waffles. My grandmother used to get the Amish-Mennonite variety in restaurants in her childhood - and she remembers them fondly. This would be a pot-pie style chicken in cream gravy over a waffle.

This style isn’t as well known today.

Is she willing to be franchised? :smiley:

Hard to beat homemade, because to me the best fried chicken is devoid of sogginess. Gotta be fresh from the pan onto the plate. Dripping onto newspaper, not paper towel- like a good seafood feast.

Cartooniverse

Alton mentions it* when he discusses chicken and waffles.

*Granted, he adds afterward, “I don’t know why you would ever want to do that.” But he does mention it.

There’s a tiny storefront called Country Chicken, in Tiny Woodlake, CA, where I used to live. AWESOME chicken.

Joe

Thirded for Chicken Shack.

The Fish Keg on Howard does very good fried chicken as well (if you’re ordering a variety of stuff - otherwise it’s shrimp and hush puppies for me).

Up here it’s Lucky Wishbone. They fly the chicken in fresh, and soak it in buttermilk before breading. They’re also a contender for the best cheeseburger in town.

I had to read that three times before I realized that “fly” was not a typo. :slight_smile:

We usually go for Church’s or Popeye’s or occasionally a fresh batch from the Wal-mart deli. It really isn’t that bad.

I like Popeye’s biscuits too, and sometimes potato logs from Wal-Mart but that is it as far as sides go, we like to make those at home

KFC is vile it isn’t even in the running. Blech

You must be neighbors with my sister in Arlington; she is walking distance from both of these places!

I prefer Pollo Rico (also in Arlington, about midway between the Clarendon and Virginia Square metros), the best Peruvian chicken I have ever had, and Pollo Campero, an international (Guatemala-based) chain with three DC-area locales. I’m a regular at the Bailey’s Crossroads one. The lady at the counter chuckles when I try to order in Spanish.

My mom lives in Arligton, and I get there about three times/year.

To hijack this thread, the Peruvian/South/Central American chicken that is to be found in the area the last 15 years is astounding. And good.

To give some more substance to this, you can find references to “chicken and waffles” as early as 1871. So it probably was orginally Amish/White America. In the 1920s-30s, it probably was more of an Afro-American/Harlem thing.

I’ll second that except I like the waffles better than the chicken. Their chicken comes out a little dry sometimes.

I head on over to Ms. Peachez’ house when I’m in the mood.

I don’t know if it still exists, but Nick’s, on Broadway, in Anderson, IN, used to have some fantastic fried chicken. Crispy, juicy, just perfection.

I also liked Hardee’s fried chicken, but I haven’t lived in a town with a Hardee’s for years, so it may be different now. Their biscuits were awesome, too.

KFC is ok, and I’ve wanted to try Popeye’s, but haven’t yet.

Prince’s Hot Chicken Shack, Nashville TN.

I feel sorry for those who’ve never had the pleasure of hot chicken. I really do. I take mine hot, but not extra-hot (that’s just silly).
http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Overview.aspx?RefID=4613