fried rice help

1. Rice. American long grain, undercooked by a couple of minutes from recommended. Left out in sieve for at least an hour. Few hours helps. Need it dry rather than full of moisture.

2. Oil is less important to me. Using a wok is though.

3. Salt is needed. If you balk at that, use low sodium, but rice needs salt to make it taste.

4. Cook an egg or two in wok first. In effect scramble it and break into pieces.

5. Put in rice, cook for a few minutes, pour in a lot of light soy sauce at the edges (so its hot when it hits the rice). And a little dark soy sauce.

6. Cook some a couple of minutes more. Once off the heat sprinkle in toasted sesame oil to flavour.

Mines is better than my local chinese takeaway.

I’m guessing you mean oil is a must, but you’re less concerned about what kind?

The type of olive oil that tastes very strongly of olives would probably be a bad choice, but it’s usually more expensive, so that might prevent most such mistakes. :slight_smile:

Well, obviously you cant use EVOO because if you heat it up you’ll get the Cancer. :wink:

But even very light olive oil has a different flavor when heated at high temp. And you need an oil with a very high smoke point, so generic “Vegetable Oil” blends are right out.

I use refined safflower oil for almost everything, because it adds almost no flavor at all, carries other flavors beautifully, and has a very high smoke point. But peanut oil adds a specific flavor to fried foods which I think might be what the OP is pining for.