From Couch Potato to Century Mark. Getting off my duff

It’s been 10 years since I have ridden my bike. Or 40 pounds ago.

I’d forgotten just how much I enjoy my rides on so many levels: physically, emotionally, theraputically, spiritually…

Now that gas is at the $4.00 a gallon mark, driving to work almost puts me into the negative just getting there ( I only work 10 hours a week.)

So, yesterday, I went on my first ride, sans kids, to where I work. About 4 miles away. Mostly flat, gravel roads.

It felt very good and my euphoria lasted quite long. I have to say that the only part that I’d truly forgotten that is the worst part of biking is my nether regions were numb for the rest of the day. I txt’d my friend this and she shared it with one of our best friends who shared it with my husband who then decided he could try to cure the numbness with his Magic Wand. ummmm yeah.

Today, I biked about 2 miles and the only complaint my body had was from the crotchital area, where it feels like a bruise down there. Yes, have a padded seat.

But, I decided today, during the slower, easier paced ride, that my goal this summer is to ride at least 100 miles before Labor Day. I use to do about 80 miles a week, after work.

I’ve set my sites pretty low due to the Kid Factor and the fact that their idea of a ride is about 1 mile. My idea of a ride use to be about 20 miles a night. So, I’ll dial it down for both of our sake, as they are the ones who will pick my nursing home in the future.

Right now, I am at 10 miles. 90 to go.

Tomorrow, I will make my first attempt at riding my bike to work and actually working on my feet for 5 hours.

I fully expect to be slightly shredded tomorrow night.

Who else is upping their exercise not only for health, but financial reasons and Nuke The Gay Baby Whales!!111!!

A friend introduced me to her exercise class and now I’m hooked. It’s one of those Tai Chi/Yoga/Pilates things and ends with a little meditation. VERY nice. I just got back from class, in fact, and I feel SO good.

And while I’m at it, I’ve started taking aerobic classes, too. I’m hoping to get to the gym 4 days/wk, EVERY week.

It’s all very different for me, and a welcome change.

Yay for you, Fessie!

A friend of mine wants me to join the local and only gym just for this two day a week specific yoga class. I love yoga and would do it, but not for 30 dollars a month for 8 classes…

Wow, this is awesome, for both you, your pocketbook, AND the environment.

I took up running a while ago, with the ‘‘Couch Potato to 5K Running Plan’’ suggested by some fellow Dopers. It’s supposed to transform you into a lean, mean, 5-K running machine in two months. Before starting this, I’d once run a mile–and required knee surgery as a result. I hated running with the burning passion of a thousand suns, and I hated my high school gym teacher for making me do it. Needless to say, I was pretty skeptical.

But by gum, it works! So far I’m 2/3 of the way to my 5K Run on the 4th of July.

Yesterday I actually ran 2 miles. I don’t even really believe it myself. I was on top of the world when I realized what I’d actually done. I used to hate running–it’s been a total transformation in my attitude toward running, and exercise in general. It’s become a daily habit, and the one thing guaranteed to lift me up when I’m feeling depressed. We are moving in August to an area (New Brunswick, NJ) with more public transportation so the goal is to get in the habit of getting places without the car – hopefully the running will pay off in this way.

In general, exercise is just one of those things with infinite benefits to personal health and the world at large. Congratulations!

I’m actually going to get a bike either today or Wednesday (my days off.) As you said, with gas getting so damn expensive, it’s worth it to buy a bike. I’ll end up riding about 12-14 miles a day on the days I bike to work…which will hopefully be most of them. I’ll wuss out and drive on the rainy days I imagine, or if I oversleep and only have ten minute to get to work, but other than that I’m going to try to bike. And I’ll also bike when I go places I don’t need a car for…like a quick trip downtown, or a small run to the store for a few things.

So I’ll spend more money in the short term (though I can get 0% financing for like a three month period, too…which seems odd for just a $400 bike, but Hell, I’ll takes what I can get) but with $60 (at least) every time I fill up it will pay for itself before winter comes, I figure.

ETA: Plus, there’s the getting in shape bonus! I used to love riding back in high school, so it will be good to get back into that. I keep trying to get back into running like I was in HS, but I just can’t seem to enjoy it like I did…but I think I’ll have a much better time with biking, since I liked that a LOT more than the running.

Yep. I’m getting into more exercise, too, and it’s because (a) I’m totally shamed by the amount of physical activity my friends do and (b) I’m starting to realize just how very inactive I am.

I started doing two hours of martial arts two nights a week in August, and thought “wow! Totally enough exercise!” Nope.

Then in January I started taking a one-hour bellydance class once a week, also. “Wow! Totally enough exercise!” Nope.

Next week, I’m going to start yoga, 90-minute sessions twice a week. I’m kind of hoping that it’ll be “Wow! Totally enough exercise!”, but I’m also eyeing my exercise bike for the days off…

I could have written the OP, almost word-for-word, but I’ve been putting off getting started.

So, I just rode to my office and back home. Probably about 10-15 miles, total. Seeing this thread was the spark I needed.

Thanks.

Yanno, I was just wondering the other day how this was going for you.

I, too, used to hate running, and the gym teacher for the same reason.

Today, I got up at 5am on a holiday, so that I could run 10 miles before the kids woke up. A lot has changed in the past 3 years (since I took the sport up).

I rode my bike today to a sub garage sale about 5 miles away ( it was mostly baby stuff, but I did pick up nearly the entire Redwall book series for $5.25. Schweeet!) and then putz over to the bike store and bought gel’d gloves, which are wonderful. Thanks Athena for a great suggestion!

I made it home, about 17 miles total, in time for running to school in my truck to pick up the kids. My legs are shredded right now.

I’ve got 27 miles down toward 100!