Frontrunners for Democratic presidential nomination in 2028

Or Rahm Emmanuel, for that matter.

Emmanuel is not a serious candidate, IMO. What’s his constituency? What’s his message? What does he have that any other candidates lack?

“I’m the most centrist centrist who ever centered and whenever the Right gets more extreme my positions will move accordingly, of course if the stinking lefties get more lefty I will not in any shape or form feel obligated to recalibrate my center”

If Nate can do it, why can’t I:

Gavin Newsom - Nope. Too slick & pretty. (Sick of his shit)

AOC - Nope. Too Woke 1.0

Jon Ossoff - Nope. Too new.

Pete Buttigieg - Nope. Too Gay. (But, brilliant and capable. He’d be my #1 choice.)

Kamala Harris - Nope. Try hard.

Josh Shapiro - Nope. Too Jewish.

Mark Kelly - Nope. Also ran.

Andy Beshear - Maybe.

Gretchen Whitmer - Nope. That photo in the oval office.

Wes Moore - Nope. Also ran.

Ruben Gallego - Who? Nope.

James Talarico - Nope. Too choir boy.

Ro Khanna - Nope. Also ran.

Mary Poltola - Who? Nope.

Abdul El-Sayed - Nope. Too Woke 2.0.

Rahm Emmanuel - Maybe. But probably not. (Also very capable. My #2 choice).

Experience and gravitas.

Lots of candidates have experience. Gravitas is in the eye of the beholder, and IMO Rahm has, at best, fake gravitas and no charisma.

I don’t remotely see a path he has to the nomination.

But as always, these are just guesses. We’ll see. He’ll have the same chance as everyone else if he chooses to run.

He’s an asshole, which is seen as a virtue by some.

If he focused his assholery solely on MAGA and MAGA enablers, then maybe he’d have something. But AFAICT he attacks progressives and lefty Dems just as much as the bad guys.

Speaking from Illinois, Rahm isn’t particularly loved around here. Pritzker pretty much is. (Among Democrats in general, that is.) Lots of displeasure with Rahm’s performance as mayor.

" Protests followed the murder of McDonald, criticizing the lack of transparency from the Rahm Emanuel administration, demanding changes in police and judicial procedures and police oversight, and for the dismissal or resignation of city and county officials including the mayor. For several months, Emanuel had claimed that making the video public would jeopardize a federal investigation into the shooting and had resisted allowing the video to be shown to the public; however, the Justice Department never raised any issues with the public release of the footage.[10] Rahm Emanuel had already won a second term in 2015 as Mayor of Chicago (prior to the release of the dash cam video), but Cook County State’s Attorney Anita Alvarez lost her bid for reelection in 2016."

Speaking as someone who lives in the Chicago area, and who has been very familiar with Rahm Emanuel’s career for 30 years: if he ever had a “best-by date,” he’s a decade past it at this point.

Thanks! That’s very interesting.

And who likes him? I can’t imagine him running, and can’t imagine him garnering many votes. Why is he even on lists?

This list in 2006 would have included:

Barack Obama - Nope. Too new.

Jon Ossoff is the senior senator from Georgia, serving since 2021. He has to win re-election, of course, but as of right now he’s in my top three.

Rahm would make a better VP candidate:

  • play the bad cop to the president’s good cop,
  • lend some age and traditional experience to the ticket,
  • and for his rolodex

But overall he seems like he is past Best If Used By date.

Edit: Sat on my draft too long and got scooped by @kenobi_65. :wink:

I’d probably pick Ossoff, AOC, Harris.

Newsom and Buttigieg are too identified with the Biden-era Party establishment. If voters want that, they’ll probably just pick Harris. Also, Newsom oozes privilege and, no, Pete, small town mayor plus four years as Secretary of Transportation still doesn’t add up to a qualified Presidential candidate. Kelly has the best chance of any of the centrists IMO. Shapiro and Beshear are way too supportive of Israel’s actions in Gaza. Whitmer I thought had potential, maybe enough to overcome That Photo, but she doesn’t seem to want to run. Don’t know much about Wes Moore. As for the potential Senate rookies, Talarico definitely shouldn’t run. I don’t know much about Peltola, but at least she’s served in Congress.

It seems ridiculous to imagine El-Sayed running only two years after being elected to the Senate. But someone’s going to take the left lane, and if AOC doesn’t run, who else is there? Sanders is ancient, Mamdami isn’t eligible, and Gallego and Khanna are severely charisma-impaired. If nobody credible does run from the Left, I think Ossoff probably picks up most of those votes, which is one reason why I rank him highly. But there is a world where the Left continues to gain strength over the next two years, AOC doesn’t run, and suddenly El-Sayed has a real path to victory. It’s unlikely, but I’d have him in my top ten.

I think putting El Sayed on the list is silly. He still has to win his Senate race (no guarantee), and his faith would be a problem. He’s the big sexy thing right now, but let’s just let the guy be a great senator. I say this as someone who loves the guy and even preferred him to Whitmer in the back-in-the-day primary for Michigan governor.

I do! I do!

Because he’s running: https://www.rahm2028.org/

He’s normal. Not like Biden was “normal”. He’s normal normal. You know, the way Obama was normal. Remember him? Yeah, good times.

He doesn’t strike me as someone who’d be willing to play second fiddle.
I like him. But I prefer President Mayor Pete, or even Elissa Slotkin.

Why is she not on Nate’s list?

In fact, my top 3 in any order or combo of P/VP are: Elissa, Rahm, Pete.

I’ll respectfully disagree. He has always had a bare-knuckles, kind of dickish political style; his political persona reminds me a bit of Andrew Cuomo’s (and that’s not a positive).

And, as noted a few posts ago, he has a fair amount of bad baggage from his time as mayor of Chicago, particularly the McDonald case. His office was accused of lack of transparency, and by the end of his term as mayor, his approval ratings were atrocious.

I highly doubt that he could carry Illinois in a Democratic primary, much less any other state.

I hear ya. But Dems could use a bit of that right now, don’t you think?

Sort of. I think they need someone with confidence and swagger, at a minimum.

Regardless, I think his negatives are way too large; due to the McDonald case, he’s going to be radioactive to black Democratic voters.