Frostpunk 2 Discussion

Frostpunk is my all time favorite city builder. I played the beta of Frostpunk 2 this weekend and it looks to be just as good as the original. Anyone else play the beta or just psyched for the sequel?

I’ll wait for a sale because I’m a cheapskate, but I’m stoked for it. I loved the original Frostpunk. Wasn’t super into the DLC, though. Looks like my total play time was a whopping 169 hours.

(Also have had my eye on New Cycle, which looks to be a shameless ripoff, but I’m waiting on it going under $20.)

I loved the art style and premise of Frostpunk but the game felt like different strategies didn’t matter.

You’d play, fail, start again and fix the one thing you failed on then fail a little later and then fix that…rinse and repeat. Like a Dark Souls city builder. Fail, learn the means past that obstacle, fail again and so on.

I do not think that is good game design. It is just learning how to do the next thing you need to advance in a long and tedious process. It never felt like there were a lot of ways to win at the game.

I really want to like it. I hope Frostpunk 2 is better but I will probably wait for a big sale.

I can’t disagree with your criticisms, but for me they were features, not bugs. I absolutely loved trying to figure out the best way to fit all the pieces together and the timing of everything to pull off a perfect run with the main story.

My only criticism is super minor: the save game files are way bigger than it feels like they need to be. Looking at my save game folder now, I have a zip file with all 24 saves from my “perfect” main story run. That zip file is 527 megabytes!