Frying a frozen hamburger patty.

I agree that the best solution would be to take the extra time and effort to buy your own ground beef and form and freeze it yourself. Better meat will be better textured. The butcher in my 'hood actually sells reasonably priced preformed patties they make themselves. More expensive than Sam’s club of course, but better and sttill pretty easy. What I need to get is a decent hamburger forming tool. Anyone have on of these? I hate the fat middles my homemade ones end up with all the time.

Anyways, here’s my suggestion to at least improve your current situation. 3 words:

Cast Iron Skillet

Invest in a a good, heavy cast iron skillet. Season it properly. Thaw the burgers in the fridge the day before (or sealed in a ziplock bag in mild water for the rush job). Never thaw hamburger in the microwave. Then get that cast iron pan screaming hot. Toss a couple drip of water in there, it should jump and sizzle post haste. Though if it instantly vaporizes you might be a little too hot and risking burning off the seasoning. Then toss her in there for about 45 seconds, flip it for another 30, 45 if you like it more medium. Season after the flip with salt and pepper. Delicious. Also, add bacon…always add bacon…yes, even to dessert.

Here’s what I do;
I buy about a pound of a decent grade of meat, divide it into three patties, freeze one, cook one tonight, then the other in a day or so. I’ve tried many cuts of ground beef, and only the low fat types are initially tough. All are tough after being frozen.
I will try marinating and then cooking in my grill without drying them.
You really gotta watch the time in a George Forman grill. I just got my second one, and it has time and temp controls. Much improved. I’m doing pork chops and asparagus tonight. Mmmmm. :slight_smile:

I never mash gb into a patty. I divide it, loosen it up with a fork, then gently form it into a patty shape. It’s a little difficult to handle at first, but holds together when it cooks. I just need to figure out how to freeze it so’s it won’t toughen. I’ll try some of the suggestions from you guys.
I plan on getting a grinder for my Kitchenaid. That’ll be cool. Ever had a burger with a small amount (10% or so) pork or Italian sausage mixed in?
Or, get a low fat, high quality meat, 1 1/2-2lbs, then add a quarter of butter (at room temp.) and mix well. Flavor up the butter first, if you like. Chili’s good. So’s red pepper flakes.
Anyway, thanks.
mangeorge
No “snot” sigs on a food thread. Oops!
Oh, and Casey1505, I like my pans well seasoned. :wink:

AND temp control? Didn’t catch that one Mangeorge. That would perhaps been considered in my decision to go with the Hamilton Beach. Still, I do like the removable grills (which I know GF now can do on family sized models), but I didn’t like the digital timer. Too much thinking when I’m just trying to throw a burger (or low fat,l ow carb swordfish steak). . . yum) onto after a Haaard days work! :wally Enjoy . . . and Peace Dude!

Yeah, mine has the removeable grills too.
BTW; read “family-size” as three pork chops, a bunch of asparagus, and a thickly sliced russet potato, all cooked together (not for the same amount of time). Dinner tonight, and lunch tomorrow to make my fellow workerbees jealous. :slight_smile:

Not too shabby at all. Really love those removable grills . . . throw them in the dishwasher with last nights dinner and ready to go again when I get home at night. Heavan. ;j

Agreed!

[QUOTE=Omniscient]
What I need to get is a decent hamburger forming tool. Anyone have on of these? I hate the fat middles my homemade ones end up with all the time.
<snippage before and after>
QUOTE]

Tupperware has a great one. I’ve inherited one along the way. I’m sure you can find them online, Here is an epinions cite, with links to get them.

-Butler

You can get the purgers up to room temperature pretty quick by putting them in a ziploc bag, sucking out the air, and putting the bag under running water.

Cooking directly from frozen has a major issue. The outside will get gummy because you have to apply enough heat to thaw and then cook the middle. Which is way more heat than the outside needs, considering it thaws almost instantaneously.

Water bath thawing is almost as fast as the microwave, but without the gross precooking the microwave does to the edges.

Purgers? -> Burgers.

I’m sorry, but I think the problem is insisting that you eat ground beef after it’s been frozen. Regardless of how you prepare it, the water in the tissues expands in the freezer and pretty much wrecks the meat. At least, that’s become my theory. I’m a meat eater from way back, and I just loves a grilled handboiger. But I won’t even TRY that, because a frozen burger will almost always fall through the grill, or fall apart there, or in a pan no matter how I make the patty. I’ve tried mixing raw egg in there to make it hold together better. I’ve tried pretty much all the things mentioned above. No luck. I think you are stuck with having to buy a pound of fresh meat every few days - make your burgers as you go, keep the ground meat sealed well, and finish up pretty quickly for safety’s sake. It’s just one of the few drawbacks of being a dyed in the wool carnivore.

[QUOTE=butler1850]

I told you guys you don’t need a press. In fact, presses kinda suck because they squish the patty. And some here jumped on me because they assumed I was asking about pre-formed patties. :rolleyes:
Step by step:
Get some waxed paper (not plastic wrap) and cut it into squares a little larger than you want the patty to be.
Put your ground meat (A pound or so) inna large bowl and loosen it up with a fork. mix in any seasonings now.
Take out about 1/3 of the meat and lay it on the middle one of the waxed paper squares. DON’T SQUISH.
Using the fork and your hands, pull the meat toward the edge of the WP forming a circle until the patty is as thick as you like it.
Gently, using your hands, pat and form the patty. It should still be a little loose, but not falling apart.
Lift by the waxed paper and turn the patty onto whatever you’ll use to cook it.
Don’t touch it till it needs turning, and then flip it carefully.
Put some good blue cheese on top and let it melt down into the burger.
Feed to someone you lust after. :eek:
Use your patty press to cut Tollhouse cookies for desert.

Today is National “P” = “B” day.
:wink: