FTC announces rule to ban non-compete agreements

Announcement here:

Ruling here (PDF):

Long story, short: Noncompetes are disallowed and will be unenforceable after a certain date (120 days from the posting of this ruling to the Federal Register). However, if you are a “senior executive” or a “franchisee”, non-competes can still be used to prevent you from competing after you left your employment.

Quoting from the opening of the 2nd link (the ruling):

Thoughts? Discussions? Good or bad thing? Were you ever impacted by a NC agreement?

long time coming! I remember reading some years ago a Jimmy John employee was threatened by one. Really?? Trade secrets from a deli restaurant chain?

Non competes are basicaly bullshit with the excessive way they become so common.

Then insult to injury, some minimum wage jobs include this BS.

This is only the first step, a lot of corporations are going to fight this and claim the FTC doesn’t have this authority.

For many years, many of these so-called non-competes were deemed unenforceable by many courts. The FTC is just codifying this court perspective finally.

About damn time. I hope the courts don’t over-rule that.

The challenge to the rule was filed in the Eastern District of Texas, one of the most conservative district courts in the country. From there it goes to the Fifth Circuit, the most conservative appeals court in the country. And from there it goes to a Supreme Court that seems to have a particular zeal for dismantling the administrative state and the Chevron doctrine that courts should defer to an agency’s reasonable interpretation of a statute.

So . . . not holding my breath.

Ditto. In California, they are either banned or unenforceable. That has a lot to do with the rise of Silicon Valley. Imagine the situation if the people who left Fairchild were not allowed to found Intel. Repeat for thousands of situations.

SCOTUS won’t allow it.

When I started with my current employer back in 2015 I had to sign a non-compete agreement. Not too long after I started, the company stopped requiring anyone but executives to sign it. For the most part, non-compete agreements weren’t worth the paper they were written on. We had a turnover of around 10% meaning we were losing about 300 people each year. Who the hell was even going to keep track even if we could enforce it?

Most states here in the US have at will employment laws meaning the company can fire you at any time. It strikes me that if they can fire an employee at any time then you should be able to find work elsewhere at any time.

I have a friend that was a customer service manager for WalMart. She says she had to sign a NCA to not work at any other general goods retailer if she left or they fired her. Can anyone confirm or deny if that’s a thing?

Yes, i read a pretty good analysis linking the outlawing of non-compete clauses in CA to the strength of the CA tech industry.

Non-compete rules were never popular in my field.

Minor correction - for the senior executives, non-competes that existed before the effective date can still be enforced but no new ones are allowed , not even for senior executives.

This rule is a good thing - it’s only non-competes that will be banned , other restrictive covenants will still be permitted (non-disclosure , non-solicitation and non-recruitment agreements). As with so many other things, employers ( as a group ) did it to themselves - if they hadn’t started having waitresses and sandwich artists signing non-competes , they might still be able to have doctors sign them.

I think it’s a good thing too. I used to work in sales, and I always had to sign a non-compete agreement. They wanted to prevent sales employees from taking their clients elsewhere. I get why that could be harmful to the company, especially if you had some really big clients, but when I left the company due to management changes that I was not in favor of, it really sucked that I couldn’t work in the same industry and take my clients with me (they all would have gone with me where ever I landed). I had to pick an entirely different industry that I didn’t enjoy as much as what I was doing, and I wasn’t making as much either.

I live in a region where broad non-competes have been explicitly prohibited for years (there are a handful of very narrow exceptions; more here). And yet, somehow, business continues to be conducted, and profits remain healthy.

The US Chamber of Commerce can go fuck itself.

Those others are far less toxic, and rarely have much impact on employee mobility.