Fuck Apple

Fair enough.

But again, that’s not really using the PATH variable, is it? Won’t those scripts be using their own custom environment variables?

Either way, it’s still an archaic interface any way you slice it.

Was mentally ticking off all of those that applied to America…

At least Obama can count.

“We have seven hundred and eleventy…seven thousand million…seventy nine hundred and…listen properly…one million members”.

Well played.

What is the non archaic what to point to the hundreds of utilities put into a few different directories?

Tools => Options => Paths from inside an IDE.

Can you guys take your discussion of path variables to a room so we can have a proper pitting / counter pitting?

To add some fuel for a decent pitting, here’s an article explaining why Android’s security update model is fundamentally flawed and can’t be fixed without a major overhaul.

Enjoy your Samsung!

From a Mac message board (what? I was getting 503 Errors here, and I had to post something somewhere…) where a semi-Luddite was asking if they’d lose the music on their iPod Nano. Another DO IT ALL MANUALLY response:

I have always managed music manually on my Nano (and my iPhone), and have avoided all the headaches others have faced with iCloud and those people who say “I upgraded my OS and lost all my music. Again!”.

As a result, I like iTunes more than most people. Set on manual, it works.

Or you can do an Almost-Manual setting by making a “Music for Nano” playlist and setting iTunes to only sync that one playlist with your Nano.

By the way, isn’t scrubbing forward and back with a wheel just THE best interface?
(Perfect for listening to podcasts or books: “Wait, who shot who in the what?”)
I miss that on my phone… though I do like having a “Back 15 Sec.” button for audiobooks.

coremelt, any phone running marshmallow is pretty much immunized against stagefright, and that article is almost a year old. I have a Samsung and I concur that if you are waiting for The Company to protect you, you are leaving yourself exposed to attack. People have to stop thinking of these as phones and start treating them like what they are, which is a compact computer. If you can’t be bothered to make the attempt to protect yourself, be prepared to be hacked. Manufacturers locking down their devices is one of my biggest frustrations as I look for new phone.
My Galaxy S4 Mini works just fine on Android 6 (Cyanogenmod)despite Samsung saying it can’t run it, and freezing the stock phones at 4.4

The point of the article was that the entire security model under Android is flawed, not just one specific vulnerability. Google patches a security issue then the vendor (eg Samsung) decides if they bother to implement into their custom version of Android with their own skin etc, then the carrier can also have a say on patches as well. As a result patches for crucial vulnerabilities either role out six-nine months after Google makes them available or they don’t come out at all for phones more than a year old.

Expecting your average consumer to know that they can side load a generic version of Android to stay safe is totally unrealistic, so there’s millions and millions of Android devices out there with vulnerabilities that have long been patched.

In Contrast, Apple releases a patch and its immediately available, carriers do not have any say.

Of course, their patch frequently breaks critical functionality or fucks up power management, but having a bricked or persistantly power-draining device is still preferable to a twelve year old remotely hacking your phone and sending all your genital images to Pinterest.

Stranger

I have multiple desktop mac’s, and iPhone and an ipad and have never experienced this. Got a cite for any of these? Apple’s QA is not perfect but they are generally pretty good.

I have it on really good authority JZ reads at a grade 5 level, too.

Nexus phones update regularly, I am not sure but I think pure android Motorola phones do the same. I’ve had couple nexus phones and loved them. They didn’t have the greatest camera or the slickest package (two things personally do not care about). They did have a clean no nonsense bloat free OS, processors and memory as good or better than the latest iPhone of their time, and came unlocked out of the box. As an extra bonus they were half the price of an iPhone.

My much loved Nexus 5 died at 4pm on Christmas eve and had just enough time to get in the store to replace it. I ended up with a Samsung 6s because they were out of the Nexus 5x and the 6p was just too bloody big. I have to agree that the samsung is a clunky box full of bloatware and some impossible to get rid of crap. I hate hate hate it. Cat wait for a cyanogenmod for it.

Back to iTunes - I’ve never seen a point to it. There are oodles of alternatives for legitimate high quality digital music, music players and file management.

OP is not the only one having deletion issues with the most recent version of iTunes:

While we’re at it, fuck Verizon.

Bought a smart phone and a tablet about a month ago. Didn’t buy a case for the tablet since there was a store only gift card coming my way to pay for it. OK. Got $150 gift card and went to the Verizon store to use it. Only case for the tablet they sold blocked the camera lens. WTF???

So now I’ve got a useless gift card. I suppose I’ll keep it for a couple of years until I upgrade my phone again.

Fuck Verizon too.

Apple is getting worse by the day, and has been since Jobs died. iTunes is a complete piece of garbage - of that there is now doubt.

However, there is a simple fix: Disable iCloud. Do not use iTunes music service. There’s nothing wrong with the phone hardware or the basic features of the operating system. But cloud storage is a bad idea in general - even if it’s not Apple.

I have never used iCloud. I go into my settings and make sure that none of that crap can access the internet over cellular. My music collection is backed up, as I’ve had iTunes delete my stuff just because it’s buggy.

For that matter, I have Adobe’s creative suite, and I turned off all the cloud storage there too. Any data you have in the cloud is data that could be compromised, stolen, snooped through by hackers or the government, or simply vanish. I learned my lesson when I put all the photos I had taken and wanted to link to from various internet documents and posts into a commercial photo storage system. One day, the company decided to get out of that business, and suddenly the storage was just…gone. And everything I’ve written on the net that had those photos linked to it now has broken links. It really sucks.

By the way, even if Apple doesn’t delete your stuff and just moves it to the cloud, you are still dependent on the ID3 tags being correct for your music to be safe. Some artists have re-issued music that’s different but has the same tag. I just read a story about someone who had a bunch of rare early-take versions of some popular songs, and Apple just went ahead and deleted them and replaced them with the popular issues of those songs. The originals are gone forever. I would never trust a 3rd party to go onto my hard drive and move my files to the cloud, while making its own decision as to which stuff was unique and which could be part of a shared catalog.