I’m in the military and have lived in 4 different places in the last 7 years and they all shared one thing in common. Excessive numbers of dilapidated strip malls. These fucking things are EVERYWHERE. They’ve spread like a cancer throughout this country. It’s pretty sick.
The thing that really gets me though is not the “fact of” strip malls, but that the MO seems to be:
- Build fancy new strip mall.
- Open up dry cleaners, barber, nail salon, smokes shop, chinese buffet, GNC and Dominoes.
- Wait 4-8 years for people to stop shopping there, if they ever started in the first place that is.
- Let strip mall deteriorate and stop any sort of upkeep.
- Then, and this is the big one, move down the road a couple miles and build ALL NEW strip malls WITHOUT tearing down the old empty ones.
- 1-6, wash rinse repeat.
I can’t fucking stand the fact that the suburbs are littered with empty strip malls while new ones are being built a few blocks away. I live in Northern VA and it’s terrible here. Why don’t the cities regulate that shit or something? Force developers to tear down a strip mall if its occupancy is beneath 10% or something for a set period of time.
I just don’t get the need to build NEW strip malls every fucking couple years. Has anyone ever actually seen a strip mall torn down?
And also, while I’m here, why did CVS build a brand new store at the same intersection where there was already a Walgreens and Rite-Aid? Seriously. WTF?