Fuck you fucking scammers

My elderly mother in law just fell victim to the classic “Send is a check to cover insurance for Publisher’s Clearinghouse” blah blah blah scam shit and bullshit. The POS convinced her that he’s a good Christian man and would never do anything dishonest.

I hope you burn in hell.

I agree.

After my father’s traumatic brain injury, he was taken for $15,000. Fortunately the credit union noticed the unusual activity and called us. They reimbursed dad’s money, and wrote it off as fraud.

I try not to wish death on people. I’m opposed to capital punishment. But* these criminals make me long for a ‘special department’ that does ‘wet work’.

* Yes, I know. ‘Everything before ‘but’ is bullshit.’

While my dad had his – yet to be diagnosed – brain tumor, he sold the 10 Krugerrands intended for his children and used that for a down payment on a new Ford EV; don’t recall the model but it was electric. Some salesdrone called “Du Jour” talked him into it without so much as a test drive.

My MIL is in the early stages (mostly) of forgetfulness - usually just to the point of doing things like repeating stories. Twice now, though, she’s had really noticeable bouts of “not being at home” (to the point we made her go see her doctor, who has ordered some tests).

Most recently, someone stole 600 bucks from their bank account for a purchase from “amazon” - then supposedly repaid it plus extra which she was to remit by gift cards. The email she showed my husband was rather threatening.

She went to the bank (solo!! FIL did not accompany her, which is another story entirely) and change the account and thinks that’s taken care of it.

But from the dribs and drabs we’ve gotten from her in the past week, we think she may have disclosed at least one password; she has suddenly gotten a new computer and is now using Gmail - because she can’t get into her email account from her ISP.

So we have to assume the scammers are having a field day. And we’re a thousand miles away and can’t do anything right now.

One of my direct reports is dealing with this with her mom right now: she has either dementia or Alzheimers (they’re in the process of getting a diagnosis), and she recently fell for a romance scam. On Monday, my employee discovered that her mom has lost $185,000…and it would have been an additional $150,000 if her sister (who is on the account) hadn’t been able to get to the bank and stop payment in time. There are other issues, and everyone is taking the appropriate steps, but scammers definitely deserve a special place in hell. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

I could write a book about my mother (who had worsening dementia) and scammers. It all began with Publishers Clearinghouse. She kept sending checks to ‘get on the next level’ to win the sweepstakes. She was spending up to $400 a month on ‘entry fees’ and so got on a sucker list of charities. Of which letters came in non-stop. Save the whales, save the ocean, save the veterans, save the cats/dogs/horses/pigs/children/Indians . Wrote checks to them all. (not that these were illegal or not legit, but there were so many of them! all with heartbreaking pictures and stories). . She went to the drugstore per orders and bought several hundred dollars worth of gift cards and gave them to ‘that nice man’ - to pay for the taxes on ‘the brand new Cadillac they were going to deliver.’ She had a scammer calling her 20 times a day, she had fly-by-nights coming INTO her house to talk about new energy plans, insurance plans, cable tv upgrades. I was smuggling out a 6" stack of begging letters every week. It was a nightmare. It would not stop…the phone scammer was the worse, I had shrieking conversations with him. He admitted he was calling from Jamaica and had a new cell phone number changed every day and couldn’t be traced. He got a really nice chunk of change for his efforts, was sending suspicious people to her house with sob stories, and finally I changed her phone number and bank account number and took over paying her bills. It was a long nightmare… A special hot place in hell for them? Can only wish.

I think I posted before that my sister fell for the “Grandma, it’s me! I’m in big trouble and in jail in Florida! You have to send a money order for $2000!” She tried to cancel the money wire when she realized it was a scam but was told it wasn’t possible. BUT, the person she dealt with said that what they could do was send an update requiring anyone who showed up for it to produce five pieces of identification.

A few years back my parents almost fell for a scam that said my dad owed money to some people, and he’d be arrested if he didn’t pay in x days, etc, etc. They found out it was bullshit, though, so no money was paid to anyone, but yeah, burn in the hottest pits of hell, scammers.