Fucking News Managers

The USS COnstitution is actually under sail today for the second time in over 100 years and it is barely mentioned on the internet, no live feed, barely any news items …

Ya think people might like a nice human interest story that is not related to death, destruction, war or politics?:dubious:

But where’s the [del]fun[/del] profit in that?

I agree that the feeds are spotty. On the other hand, it has not happened, yet, and given that it needs winds in the limited range between 5 and 15 mph to happen, maybe they are just hanging back to report it after the fact.

Great news. Why is this in the Pit though?

I felt the same way about the latest Mats Rover landing. I watched it streaming live on my computer while the networks decided it was more important to show highlights of Olympic events that had happened 12 hours earlier and re-runs of Letterman.

It would have made for amazing television: a sequence of events that each had to happen perfectly in order to carry out a seemingly implausible method of landing the 1 ton rover gently to the ground.

Problem is, I don’t think anyone cared about the Rover. When I told people about it the next day, I got a lot of “Are you still talking about that”. “I’m not still talking about it. I told you about it when I first heard about it, I mentioned the other day that it was going to land soon, and I’m telling you know that it happened successfully” To the layman that doesn’t really care about science/space stuff, the feed would have been ungodly boring to watch. Hour and hour of a bunch of guys sitting in a room mumbling some gibberish at each other, a guy with a mohawk and a cartoon of a spinny thing. Most people would have changed the channel.

It’s a publicity stunt for a floating museum. Color me unimpressed.

I disagree. In the Olympics they create drama out of a swimming race by showing back stories of the athletes, creating rivalries, and using things like the moving World Record line.

The rover landing would have been perfect. Here is Susie Bright, she worked three years on the landing strut assembly. She met her husband working at JPL where he designed the parachute and they have two kids with one more in the way. Will her design work? Three explosive bolts have to deploy at the right time and in the right sequence or a billion dollar project will just be a pile of scrap.

If they can make watching cars turn left for 500 miles interesting then this would have been a cinch.

Now, if it attacked some British ships along the way…

This is the kind of story that doesn’t make much sense to run on a national level before it’s happened. Most people aren’t going to travel at the last minute to see it, and there’s nothing to look at anyway. TV camera crews will probably get video of it while it’s underway, and it’ll be on the news tonight once there’s something to look at.

If they can make watching cars turn left for 500 miles interesting
they can’t and they don’t!

but I think with the Mars Rover they certainly could.

Heh, I thought it was actually that “The USS COnstitution is actually under **assault **today for the second time in over 100 years”

And I was expecting glurge like my crazy Hispanic relative that follows the tea party and racist sources and sends it to me on a daily basis. (You know he is crazy when he ignores that in the case of the racist sources they would not have nice designs for people like me and my relative)

But The Constitution sailing again is a cool thing for a guy that loves history like me.

Also: The HuffPo claimed that it’s the oldest commissioned warship in the world. The HMS Victory is older.

Is it being crewed by C-List celebrities who may get kicked off?

That article says the Victory is “the oldest naval ship still in commission”, but that the Constitution is “the oldest commissioned warship still afloat”. The Victory is in dry dock; maybe that’s the distinction?

Before I fuck any news managers to get my story on the air, I at least want to ascertain that they are female, not horribly unattractive, open to trading sex for stories, and not likely to cut off my junk.

A Warship owned by the US gov’t sailing to commemorate a famous battle doesn’t have anything to do with death, destruction war or politics?

Anyhoo, I remember the '97 sail getting coverage (granted I was in Mass. at the time) so I imagine this too will get some reporting when it actually happens.

We should totally send it to the Indian Ocean to deal with the Somali Pirates.

That would fucking rock.

The navies of both Canand the USA are sending out ships on tour as part of the bi-centenial commemoration of the War of 1812-1813.

The brief sailing of the USS Constitution is a nice event. Pity it is only sailing for ten minutes, but I understand why the do not want to put it at risk.

I look forward to the vid.

But it was related to the war of 1812. Most Americans don’t really want to be reminded of a war they lost. :wink: