Full Kitchen Redo

Today was day 1, hopefully the worst day.

3 issues today already:

One of the circuits in the kitchen then runs to the basement to power the washer, dryer and pump for the deep sink. That circuit is broken and won’t be fixed until tomorrow.

A lot of my insulation I had put in the first year I moved in is now gone. They didn’t really handle that the right way.

They also punched a smallish hole into the guest room/wife’s office. They’ll have to patch that and thankfully the paint is just over a year old and will probably match fairly well.

I have some pictures to share: The new layout and the gutted kitchen.

How it looked after we moved in 2 years ago.

Yaay: spacious but real dated to spacious plus totally swank! Probably not cheap but almost certainly worth it in satisfaction.

Shame the images don’t inline, but they’re still easily accessible to anyone bothering to click through.

I look forward to watching your progress! I went through one of these a few years ago. I hope to never repeat it, but that was mostly due to my husband’s death about two-thirds of the way through. I hasten to add it wasn’t the stress of the remodel that killed him. Still, it was a lot to get through.

I wish you smooth progress!

What is the predicted finish date?

Best of luck. Inspect the work daily!

Roughly 30 days.
And I will indeed inspect daily.

I look forward to watching the progress! Glad I found this thread.

The Washer/Dryer/Radon Remission Fan are no longer on a kitchen circuit. This is good. Very good to have it all up and running again. I have to remember to get the new breaker # for this and update the panel front.

Last night we got the water line run to the Fridge and it worked out well despite poor instructions. (Thankfully I’ve done this before). All was dry this morning. So even better.

Lighting plan is worked out and meets my wife’s approval. They’re running electric as I type.

I hope you greatly increased the power supply to the kitchen. Like about 4 quad-outlet groups spread around the counters, and each quad-set on its own breaker.

Wire and outlets and breakers are all but free while the studs are exposed. Once the wall’s closed up and the cabinets are in, any inadequacy in provisioning is very expensive to remedy. A real forehead slapper that one is. Don’t ask how I learned this.

Hope you/they did not use one of those saddle clamps to pierce a copper cold water line to tap off for the 1/8" poly run to the fridge. Those are not at all safe long-term and IMO should be illegal. While the wall’s open, make that connection properly with sweated fittings.

Fridge is in a temp location in my living room. Saddle clamps (never heard that term, cool one) are safe if installed correctly. This is my 6th in 30 years. Though as this one is a temp, I installed it after a cutoff valve anyway feeling paranoid.

Saddle Clamps I assume are the standard fridge/humidifier kits were the valve itself penetrates the pipe.

Outlets will be greatly increased.
Should be plenty. Lighting is also being greatly increased. Switches are moving to better locations.

Best of luck! From the pics, it really looks like your contractor is maintaining an incredibly clean work area – a Very Good Thing.

Rough out done, next is inspections.

Note, lots of outlets going in.

So we’ve been in a holding pattern since last Monday. I’m less than happy.
Inspectors are due Wednesday & Thursday.

The guy from company that is suppose to schedule the inspections was off last week. But no one communicated with me about this and apparently he has no back up. This is some kind of BS.

Hopefully the inspections sail through and the work goes fast come Monday.

Looks like all of those outlets are on one circuit. Might not be an option at this point due to scheduling but it would be better to split them into two. It’s also good to have a dedicated outlet for your microwave.

Agreed. I get that sometimes stuff happens, but they should at least tell you what’s going on.

The Microwave/Hood will be its own circuit. The Fridge will also be its own circuit.
But yes, the counter outlets are all on one circuit. I’m OK with this. Agree it isn’t ideal, but should be fine. Worst case scenario would probably be running a crockpot on high and then making toast. The circuit will handle that.

We passed the electrical inspection yesterday and plumbing is today. That should be quick and easy. Then work finally resumes Monday.

Waiting on the Insulation inspections now. This process is so slow right now.

Meanwhile I took down the Dining Room fan and installed the new light fixture today.

Good looking fixture. :+1:

That looks nice.

Does it cast enough light?

I think so, but I can go up to 3x 100w equivalent instead 3x 60w equivalent.

I find a dimmer very handy in the dining room, since one tends to want different amounts of light under different conditions. Looks nice, though.

Since my dining room table doubles as a craft bench…