Fun Karaoke Songs, No Really.

Lou, I wanna go karaoke-ing with you! I, too, am willing to perform sober. Duet? How 'bout a little Petty and Nicks?

Oh SNAP! That would be great. Which part do you want? :slight_smile:

(Actually, my little karaoke fantasy is to sing Meat Loaf’s “Paradise By the Dashboard Light” with a girl.)

Cinnamon Girl and Lou, I’ll come too. A couple of beers are nice, but not absolutely essential. Heck, I’d karaoke in a juice bar.

My favourites:

“Mack the Knife” - Bobby Darin
“Brandy, You’re a Fine Girl” - Looking Glass
“City of New Orleans” - Arlo Guthrie
“Mr. Bojangles” - Jerry Jeff Walker
“Hundred Pounds of Clay” - Gene McDaniels
“Ghost Riders in the Sky” - many artists

Of course, there are others I can do–some Sinatra, some Tony Bennett, and some Tom T. Hall come immediately to mind–but I’d have to say those in the list are my favourites.

For comic relief, I’ve also been known to do Ray Stevens’ “The Streak.” I do all the different voices myself, too.

I’ve had good luck with:

“Creep” by Radiohead
“Son of a Preacher Man” by Dusty Springfield (I’m a guy; you could probably pull it off better. But it was fun!)
“Hotel California” by the Eagles
“Sweet Home Alabama” is great if you can get a couple people (preferably women) on stage to do the backing vocals.

One that I’ve always wanted to try (I think it would be awesome), but never seen in a playlist, is “Steve McQueen” by Sheryl Crow.

That sounds like fun! We need backup singers, too. Spoons is on the list because I love Brandy, You’re A Fine Girl. I’ll back you up on that one: Dooda-dit-dooda, dit-dooda-dit-dooda…

Heheh. The Streak:

Ethel, where you going?
Ethel, you shameless hussy
Say it isn’t so Ethel

Walk This Way is good- there’s not much actual singing involved, and its a crowd pleaser.

Tom Petty’s music is pretty popular, even among us young’uns, and you may very well sing it better than he did.

I have a pretty deep singing voice, so stuff I can do is pretty limited.

Songs I rock on the karaoke mic.

Big Bopper - Chantilly Lace
The Marcels - Blue Moon (if someone else is doing the vocals).
Gary Lewis and the Playboys - This Diamond Ring
Dion and the Belmonts - Runaround Sue
Pretty much anything old school with a nice low bass line.

Oddly enough, I was just bemoaning my lack of a duet partner to take the male part end of that song last night. WHERE WERE YOU?!?!
By the end of the night, I ended up doing a KILLER job of Cher’s If I Could Turn Back Time, Tony Basil’s Hey Mickey (this woulda been cuter except that it was the ONE night I didn’t wear pigtails to the bar. Harumph, says I) and Janis Joplin’s Mercedes Benz (by request of some drunk lady who stumbled over to us about halfway through the night slurring, “Duuuuude… you should do Jaaaaanice.” She requested Me and Bobby McGee, but I talked her down. :wink:

I’ve seen some great ideas here, I wish I would’ve seen them earlier. I dinnit find “What a Feelin” (sorry, sara.)
LindyHopper, my bar has Steve McQueen. :wink: Some chick did it last night, woohoo.

Our karaoke host did that Ashlee Simpson song “La La” last night. Good LORD, is that a hotly twisted song if you don’t sing it like Ashlee did. smirk Our karaoke goddess has an amazing voice with a killer Joan Jett rasp and attitude.

It was so beautiful, I wish you all would’ve been there.

I also learned that the song says,

and not

It makes alot more sense now.
Next week I’m going to try to squeeze in Joplin’s Piece of my Heart, Silverfire and I’ll do “What’s Up” again (I had alot of fun doing it a week or two back), just for mcott.

Also, damn you all for not living in Phoenix. Together, we would set the karaoke bar on fire!

I just wanted to point out that to the best of my knowledge at least, Paradise by the Dashboard Light does not have a “male part end” in it. :smack:

I’ll go now.

If there was one song, I’d say “Brandy (You’re a Fine Girl)” by Lookinglass, followed closely by “Hell” by Squirrel Nut Zipper. But, I’ve won karaoke contests singing, “King of the Road” by Roger Miller, “Teddy Bear” by Elvis Presley, “Mack the Knife” by Bobby Darin and “Monster Mash” by Bobby “Boris” Pickett.

I love doing songs folks get up and dance to like “Runaround Sue” by Dion and “I Need to Know” by Marc Anthony. Growing up in the '80s, I love doing “867-5309/Jenny” and “Jessie’s Girl.” It’s a huge rush when a stranger compliments me. I clap for everyone who goes up to sing, drunk off their ass, or whatever.

I’m a part karaoke junkie and karaoke snob. God bless the following songs (and they are good songs), but if I hear them again locally, done by the same person, week in/week out, I’m apt to cringe and/or leave the room:

“Goodbye Earl”/The Dixie Chicks
“My Way”/Frank Sinatra
“Total Eclipse of the Heart”/Bonnie Tyler
“American Pie”/Don McLean
“Piano Man”/Billy Joel
“The Devil Went Down to Georgia”/Charlie Daniels Band

I think Uneasy Rider would be a fun song. (Charlie Daniels?)

Friday (I’m in Love) by The Cure

Come on Feel the Noize

And from Saturday mornings

Josie and the Pussycats

The Ghoulie Get Together
There is a CD with rock bands doing those songs and I forget who does it but there is a sort of a metal version of Popeye the Sailor Man that is pretty cool.

Here are my favorites:

Everything about you - Ugly Kid Joe
Radar Love - Golden Earring
Locomotive Breath - Jethro Tull
Let it Be - The Beatles
Low - Cracker
Paradise by the Dashboard Lights - Meatloaf (You’ll need a partner!)

Eeeexcellent. How was she?

Um…I’ve done this one. :o

(Did a pretty good job, though.)

Just remember, it’s not karaoke until some (probably me) sings “The Gambler” by Kenny Rogers. :slight_smile:

That’s cool. Certainly, no offense meant. I’ve done the song with someone else. It is a long song though, and I try to pick songs that aren’t over five minutes, because usually the places I go to have long rotations and the KJ running the show will get mad. That said, again, no offense, anyone can choose ANY song they he/she wants to sing.

I admit I’m hypersensitive with some aspects of karaoke. I’ve been doing karaoke regularly for 6 years and the weeks of seeing the same people, sing the same songs, add up. I’ve seen some unusual things. One local KJ (karaoke jockey) will not let you sing “Margaritaville” by Jimmy Buffet because he does 3-4 shows a week at different locales and is tired of hearing it.

Oh, no offense taken, I assure you. This was at a private party, anyway, and another guy and I were singing most of the numbers (we weren’t trying to hog the microphone, but people just wouldn’t come up and sing!

See, now, this one I agree with. :wink:

I think karaoke performers and bar/house bands should be barred from performing the following:

“American Pie”
“Piano Man”
“Margaritaville”
“Brown-Eyed Girl”
“Free Bird”
“Sweet Home Alabama”
“Stairway To Heaven”

In fact, I wouldn’t mind an overall bar on those songs, keeping them off the radio as well.

You woulda done better. :wink: She had the chorus down pretty well though.

I also did American Pie once. I will admit that it was a mistake though. I could not, for the life of me, come up with the melody. 3/4 of the way through the song, I still wasn’t feeling it. Aaah, that was a terrible few minutes. Kudos to you for doing a good job on it!!

Uh, Fog On The Tyne. But you need a few pints to get it really going.

Google, Soulseek and I will get back to you on that. =)