Fun things for 8-year-old in NYC

Holy Crap!

In two weeks I, myself will be taking an 8 year old to New York! This has been a helpful thread for me. Thanks everybody, keep those suggestions coming!

Cicada, when I first started to plan the trip I started this Thread looking for books to help with ideas.

Egyptian art at the Met.

In response to the first reply, we’re talking NYC here. There’s NOTHING cheap in NYC here. Even whores and cocaine.

The Circle Line website is www.circleline42.com. They have shorter trips that might be better for a child.

Of course, Central Park is good too.

Just got back. Thanks to everybody who suggested things (except Ilsa Lund you bad bad boy!), but particularly Stuyguy who suggested the panorama. It was a high point, from getting on the subway, to the point where that subway turned into “wow, now it’s like a roller coaster!”, to the Unisphere and of course the panorama itself. And I wouldn’t have known about that.

As he got a bit seasick on the Staten Island ferry (!) I now know never to take this kid on a cruise.

He liked the Intrepid, the trip to the top of the Empire State Building, his brother took him to a Yankees game, and he very quickly picked up some fairly alarming pedestrian habits (like, why am I waiting for the WALK light? Everyone ELSE is going.) Wish we’d had time to see everything everybody mentioned.