Fun to read non-fiction books

Around Ireland with a Fridge by Tony Hawkes…not the skateboarder.

This book is one of the funniest I’ve ever read along with Murphys Bar the name of the author I forget ::smack::

Oh yeah, good one, chowder!

Thirding Stiff. I also liked Complications by Atul Gawande and Dr. Tatiana’s Sex Advice to All Creation, which is not about human sex, by Olivia Judson, an evolutionary biologist.

Salt by Mark Kurlansky. I’ve re-read it twice now. Whodathunk a book about the role of salt in world history could be a page-turner?

…and anything by Margaret Visser (The Rituals of Dinner and Geometry of Love in particular, though)

Sure you don’t mean McCarthy’s Bar?

Oliver Sachs (Wiki link Oliver Sacks - Wikipedia )

The Island of the Colourblind
The man who mistook his wife for a hat
Awakenings
Uncle Tungstun

and more

Dr Oliver Sachs is a Nurologist who writes very well. His accounts of paitients and situations he has encountered make engrossing, interesting reading.

Douglas Hofstaedter (wiki Link Douglas Hofstadter - Wikipedia )

Metamagical Themas
Godel Escher Bach
I am a Strange Loop

His work on recursivity, artifical intellegence and the nature of consciousness is presented with brillaince, depth and wit.

Uncle John’s Bathroom Reader… I got em all!

Regards
FML

The Making of the Atomic Bomb by Richard Rhodes

The first non-fiction book I ever 1) read voluntarily and 2) enjoyed was In the Heart of the Sea: The Story of the Whaleship Essex.

It’s the story of the ship that was the inspiration for Moby Dick. Herman Melville sailed on a ship with one of the survivors of the Essex and heard the story. Good read. Plus, there’s

cannibalism!!! :smiley:

Cod was quite good as well. Definitely worth a read if you like Kurlansky.

Thudlow Boink, A. J. Jacobs was on Oprah today. Him and Mike Rowe of Dirty Jobs fame were the only reason I didn’t change the channel. It was entirely too funny watching how horrified Oprah became about the facts of life when it comes to unpleasant everyday things. :smiley: :stuck_out_tongue:

Too bad it vectors the urban legend about Roman soldiers being paid in salt. Read this thread.

Parkinson’s Law, by C. Northcote Parkinson, is a classic in the business world. Written in the 1950’s by a British historian and sociologist, it takes a look at how bureaucracy really functions. Among the findings:

-Any bureaucracy will grow in size at a predictable rate, which is unrelated to how much work it is doing.

-The more money is at stake in an agenda item, the less time will be spent discussing that item.

-Only organizations on the verge of collapse will build an expensive new headquarters.

People describe it as a funny book, but there are no actual jokes. What’s funny is how you can’t tell how much of it Parkinson takes seriously, or expects you to take seriously. Here’s a taste:

http://www.fabricegrinda.com/files/ParkinsonsLaw.pdf

Two spring to mind:

Big Secrets by William Poundstone, who actually has the balls to suggest he knows Cecil’s real identity (but the rest of the book is pretty awesome)

Microbe Hunters by Paul de Kruif which I haven’t finished yet, but is a great read. It doesn’t hurt that Sinclair Lewis consulted de Kruif while writing Arrowsmith, one of my favorite novels.

So not only did I forget the author I also forgot the book title :smack: :smack:

Oh my God. That is the only book that made me laugh out loud enough to embarass myself in public.

The Devil in the White City is also a good read.

On a side-note, I always think of non-fiction as extra reading - being a lit major, most of my school reading has always been fiction.

I wonder if that girl he had sex with ever phoned him.

Plenty of good books mentioned already.

A couple not yet mentioned, and that i really enjoyed:

Moneyball, by Michael Lewis.

Confederates in the Attic, by Tony Horwitz.

OOH! Good choices! Add his Bestial, an account of the Gorilla Strangler, who terrorized the West Coast & Canada in the 20’s.
Also, consider L. Sprague De Camps’ The Ancient Engineers (does some fine debunking, & gives a good history of Engineering) and The Ape-Man Within.

I’m currently reading The Victorian Underworld, crime in the UK/19th Cent. Very nicely done.

Any of Nigella Lawson’s cookbooks. They’re half cookbook, half autobiography. They’re beautiful, and I will reread them over and over again because I love her writing.

Here is some more by Schechter–

Fiend

Fatal : The Poisonous Life of a Female Serial Killer*

Panzram A Journal of Murder*

And, the new one he’s coming out with–
The Devil’s Gentleman: Privilege, Poison, and the Trial That Ushered in the Twentieth Century

I came in here to mention this one, and the follow-up Playing The Moldovans At Tennis where Tony bets that he can beat the entire football (soccer) team of a small East European nation at tennis. Not quite as funny as Fridge, but makes up for it with some very poignant descriptions of the Moldovan way of life.