I don’t have any specific references in mind, but this thread has reminded me of the numerous signs I run across where people have mistakenly – and rather unfortunately – used quotation marks instead of asterisks to denote emphasis. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve seen signs that say something like:
[QUOTE=mnemosyne]
One that drove me crazy every time I went to the local Boston Pizza was the big sign advertising that the restaurant can host “Birthday Party’s” . The worst thing is, this in on one of those big signs that look like a chalk board, and it is probably in every Boston Pizza! Horrible.
[/QUOTE]
And the beautifully hand-painted signs people put up in front of their houses:
The Smith’s
as if only one family member really owns the place.
At work, soon before I retired, I saw a big magnetic sign saying, “CLEAN SOIL.” After I saw it stuck in two places that clearly had no clean soil, I took it home. It’s in my garage, on the front of the Vile Chemicals cabinet.
[QUOTE=Ellen Cherry]
My favorite, that I’ve actually seen, was a door in a parking structure that said:
THIS DOOR IS ALARMED
I always pictured it with a suprised, “Home Alone” look on its face.
[/QUOTE]
Ellen Cherry, you stole my post! As soon as I started reading this thread, I was dying to share my discovery of THIS DOOR IS ALARMED. I saw it a few years ago when I revisited my alma mater. I was non plussed!
Driving on I-80 from Sacramento to Davis, I saw a huge sign put up by some group of realtors. Personally, I think the sign was defeating their intent. They urged home sellers and buyers to consult their “realtor.” Yes, they put that word in quotes. So, apparently they didn’t want you to consult a real realtor after all!
[QUOTE=Audrey Levins]
Went to pay my car insurance yesterday. On the door is a printed sign that says:
“CORRECT CHANGE ONLY. SORRY FOR ANY INCONTINENCE. THANK YOU.”
Imagine my surprise when I walked in and saw another sign, taped to the back of a computer monitor. “NO PUBLIC BATHROOMS. SORRY FOR THE INCONVENIENCE. THANK YOU.”
[QUOTE=fetus]
At my ex’s work, there’s one of those things where you can put in some money for a charity and grab candy. The sign on it says, and I quote exactly:
“Candy coast $0.25. Please don’t just take it, it’s for the starving chidings.”