Fun with salt blocks

I won’t get into details, but I have a pile of salt blocks (ie, cow licks) free for the using. Anyone know any amusing activities that salt blocks could be used for?

I have placed salt blocks at the edge of the woods so that I could enjoy watching the wildlife who came to use them.

I’ve read that in the winter, animals suffer for a lack of salt, and putting blocks out in the woods is a kindness.

Lissa, I always heard that too. But in reality, if you’re going to do it, place them well into the woods (probably where you can’t see them). The salt licks draw them out to the road and they get squashed.

The woods are at least a mile back from the road, so there’s really no danger of the animals becoming roadkill in my situation. (I use binoculars to watch them.)

You could stack up several of them and carve a statute, then place the statue someplace prominent. Watch as local arts conservation agencies drive themselves into a frenzy as environmental effects cause the statue to corrode and dissolve.

Or you could put them at the edge of the woods and watch all the critters get their salt fix.

You could put them on the railroads tracks and test the cowcatcher.

60mph and a convertible automobile.

Drag coefficient testing.

Hrmmmm. Why did the words “Municipal swimming pool” and “Great white shark” pop into my head?

Well if you had sodium peroxide and zinc powder you could make this nifty exothermic reaction… but you only have sodium chloride. So I guess you’re SOL.

You might want to check your local laws before putting it out for the animals. Feeding deer has been outlawed here in NY state to keep animals from herding in the winter. This is to keep any outbreak of ‘Wasting Disease’ from spreading. I don’t believe there has been any confirmed cases here in NY but it seems to be a larger and larger problem in the Western Great Lakes area.

World’s largest Margarita?

Tripler
I can’t believe I’m the only one that thought of that.

I was thinking a really big pretzel. They usually have unusually large grains of salt, so it wouldn’t even have to be that big.

Well, you could hook the salt up to a battery, melt it, and convert it to sodium metal and chlorine gas. If you want something a little less extreme, just dissolve it in water before hooking up the battery and you’ll end up with bleach, sodium hydroxide, and chlorine gas. All of these are fun compounds. Plus, the bleach will break down over time into sodium perchlorate, which can be used instead of sodium peroxide for neuroman’s exothermic reaction. There’s practically no limit to the fun you can have with salt :smiley:
Electrolysis of salt

You could donate it to a stable/barn. Find a nearby dairy or beef farm, or better yet, a stable that has volunteer programs for disabled people to ride, or something like that. Horses need salt too. I don’t suppose the supply of salt blocks will make a huge difference in someones budget, but it’ll be used up, and likely appreciated nonetheless.

Besides, most cowlicks aren’t just salt - they have a lot of other minerals in them. I suppose if you want to do some chemistry, checking out the other ingredients might be a good idea in some cases.

Salt is a very good cleaner. Pound some off, combine with liquid soap, and start scrubbing. Or throw some into the laundry. Keeps colors from fading and clothes from freezing if you hang them outside.

Put it out for the deer, say, 100 yds. away. After they’ve started using it a few days, move to 50 yds from your house. After a few more days, 20 yds., then 10. Pretty soon you’d have an easy shot at some free venison.
(j/k)

Winner!

Off to IMHO.

Well, one person who knows someone with a farm took a bunch off our hands. (Like 6 or 7 boxes full, along with several giant blocks).

Still got some left over…we think leaving them out on front lawns of people we don’t like might be a good idea :slight_smile:

Are they white. or do they have a load of other gunk in? If the former, carve them up into little cubes and restock the sugar-cube bowls in every restaurant you go to.

Easy solution: Send it to the East Coast. We need it to melt the snow.