Funniest comic strip and your favorite character

The funniest comic strip I read was Bloom County. Alas no more.
My favorite character: Opus with his outlook on life, and obsessing on those body parts.
My favorite runs:
Cloning Bill the Cat
Star Trek in the wheel chair.
Banana computer

The best comic strip by far is VIZ, a comic made here in Northern England, and the winning characters have to be ‘The Fat Slags’. You can find the magazine on the net, but be warned it is offensive, but funny!

Calvin and Hobbes. Period.

It’s a hard decision; I’ll have to say Citizen Dog. But you can’t make me choose between Fergus and Cuddles.

Dilbert is a close second, mainly because the managers at my last job had a habit from quoting the strip without knowing it.

I’m not a warlock.
I’m a witch with a Y chromosome.

That should be “a habit of

Lord, this is tough. I love the old Dilbert, before he got too obsessed with the office jokes. I mean, maybe they pay the bills, but it’s not nearly as funny as finding dinosaurs hiding behind the couch or Elbonians who treat pigs as equals. I also loved Bloom County.

Currently, the strip I enjoy most is Robotman. The Teletubbies thing a few months ago was a gem.

Chaim Mattis Keller
ckeller@schicktech.com

“Sherlock Holmes once said that once you have eliminated the
impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be
the answer. I, however, do not like to eliminate the impossible.
The impossible often has a kind of integrity to it that the merely improbable lacks.”
– Douglas Adams’s Dirk Gently, Holistic Detective

Calvin and Hobbes
Fox Trot
Red Meat

I know I’m forgetting two because I can’t remember what they’re called. I’ll find their names and add them on here.

Calvin and Hobbes and The Far Side, no question about it.

And dammit, both strips were retired around the same time. I have no reason to read the comics any more. :frowning:

“Me fail English? That’s unpossible!”

“English? Who needs that? I’m never going to England.”

Far Side. Bloom County. Dilbert (some). Wizzard of Id. Early to middle Doonesbury. Don Martin’s Captain Klutz (Mad Magazine). Early Herman (Jim Unger - not sure many know of him).

Calvin and Hobbes and the Far Side when they were still being made. Now it’s sluggy freelance (www.sluggy.com) and Userfriendly (www.userfriendly.org)

Paper? Dilbert.

Calvin and Hobbes was the absolute best. I was horrified to see it retire while others continue to slog on well past their prime. “The candle that burns twice as bright burns half as long” (From Bladerunner, I believe). And of course I loved Hobbes :slight_smile:

Bloom County was another great one, as well as The Far Side. Again, that candle thing.

The exceptions to the rule, IMHO, are Dilbert and For Better or For Worse. However, I think maybe FBOFW should have retired by now, also. I don’t think it’s lost any of its quality, exactly, it just depresses me to see the kids grow up and leave home and stuff. I don’t like change. Charlie Brown, Milo and Binkley, Calvin, those damnable Family Circus kids, they never aged. Why do Michael and Elizabeth? And why was April born? And why did Farley die? Depressing.

“I hope life isn’t a big joke, because I don’t get it,” Jack Handy

I’d have to vote for Calvin and Hobbes also, but a great comic book, rather than a strip, was (is?) Asterix and Obelix, unfortunately hard to find in the U S of A.

“non sunt multiplicanda entia praeter necessitatem”

1. Zippy the Pinhead
  2. Calvin & Hobbes
  3. Family Circus (just kidding!)

Pogo - THE classic comic, period.
Calvin and Hobbes
Far Side
BC
Sherman’s Lagoon
Andy Capp

Others, there are others…

The overwhelming majority of people have more than the average (mean) number of legs. – E. Grebenik

The best current strip is Citizen Dog.

I also have a fondness for Mutts. There’s something almost existential about that strip.

(Can’t wait to see if my bolds worked!)

My favorite comic of all time is Calvin & Hobbes. My favorite one that is still running is definately Foxtrot.
And, just FYI, my least favorite comic is Family Circus, followed in close second by Marmaduke. I swear, even I could do a better comic than these.

I love Mutts, my favorite currently running. Reminds me in a vague way of Krazy Kat, which is classic, I wish I could find more reprints of it, I have one big book of them, would love to find some more.

I do miss Calvin and Hobbes, there is a website that is reprinting old strips, so its cool to read them every once in a while.
If anyone wants the site let me know, and I will find where I wrote it down.

pat

Oh, and Dilbert. I used to love it, but lately I get the same feeling from it, that I get from the Family Circus. Bil Keane seems to write strips with the express purpose of being put up on someone’s fridge. Lately, Dilbert has seemed to be written with the purpose of being put outside someone’s cubicle.
I love when he leaves regular office things and talks about Phil supreme leader of Heck, and the dinosaur.

pat

If I ever find myself short a soulmate, I’ll look no further than this message board. I can only reiterate previous suggestions.

Pogo (Pogo himself is my favorite character, but I like Porky a lot too.)
Calvin and Hobbes (impossible to choose a favorite character.)
Bloom County (Favorite characters: Milo and Oliver)
Sluggy Freelance (at [)"]www.sluggy.com](http://www.sluggy.com[/url)) (favorite characters: Torg and Kiki)

I used to be a huge Doonesbury fan, but I think it’s run past its prime. The only thing that could save it now would be for Dan Quayle to be elected president, and it’s just not worth it.

I never really got into Asterix, but I am a fan of Lucky Luke (also written by Goscinny), and Herge’s Tintin.

Hmmm . . .

I especially like FBOFW because it shows change and evolution in the family structure. That and Lynn Johnson is a consumate artist.

I like Rose is Rose, again for Pat Brady’s artistry and the occasional genre within the comic strip. I do think she needs to work a little more on new strip ideas.

Other than that:

-Foxtrot
-Calvin and Hobbes
-Bloom County
-Far Side

Comic strips that need to be retired:

-Peanuts
-Garfield
-Nancy
-any soap opera strip

Comic strips that need to be taken out and shot:

-Love is . . .

“Knowing others is wisdom. Knowing yourself is enlightenment.” - Lao-tzu, Chinese philosopher