funniest sentence in literature, IMO

I disagree. Don’t get me wrong, I loved both, but since I know the movie by heart I could tell when there were changes made to the dialog. On the whole I thought the movie’s version was far more clever. That said, they did cut out a few scenes for the movie that where comedy gold, but I still gotta go movie.

Blasphemy! They were restricted to 90 minutes in the movie, the whole first part of the book, up until Westley leaves for America is priceless. It wouldn’t translate to the screen, so there’s no point in worrying about it, but it makes the book head and shoulders above the movie.

(This was before kissing.)

There are few books that have made me snort with hysterical giggles like Wodehouse’s Jeeves books. If I’m reading them his phrasing starts slipping into my own writing ; I also have to stop myself from saying things like “My sainted aunt!”

Anyway, this is more than a sentence, but the OP’s mention of a cook brought it to mind. Bertie is visiting Bing’s uncle, who thinks he is the author of sentimental books which enoble the working classes, such as Only a Shopgirl, etc. for, typically, complicated reasons. He is speaking of his cook:

Every time I use it, I always call mayo “a certain mayonaisse” and wonder aloud about its creaminess.

Not only funny, but strikes in the reader an uncomfortable note of recognition since that very thought, in some permutation or other, may have flitted through our own minds, possibly, at some time or other. The sentence draws us into the book effectively. We want to know more of this well-spoken narrator who, apparently, really believes this.

My wife and I often read the same literature, and I happened to get ahold of Cryptonomicon before she did. I don’t like to interrupt my reading to show her things, but it took every ounce of restraint I had not to shove that particular graph in her face the moment I’d seen it. That book is gold overall. I love the structure of this passage:

You would fit right in with a Wodehouse Society-type group I once knew of (around 2000). They had a message board in which members would converse in Wodehouse-ese – long circuitous sentences, clever repartee – and many were in character, as Angela Bassett types, or Gussie Fink-Nottle types. They wouldn’t come out of character, in fact. It was maddening at times. I didn’t last because I can’t write or speak that way for any length of time, but these people were good.

Au contrary and speak for yourself, Mr. Ryle. I assure you that not so much as once have I wondered what the hell were my parents thinking while they were, you know, begetting me.

It is best, as Miss Manners cited once already in this thread recommends, to implacably deny, deny, deny that such events have occurred, despite actual tangible results.

Was the character-narrator of a time where such belief would have been the norm? Or did it mark him as quaint?

Not to hijack, but this is a pet peeve of mine. If I’m ever given a chance to Rule the World, one of the first edicts I’ll issue is this: All bookstores must always have the first volume of any series in stock if they have any other volumes in the series on the shelf.

Libraries too, but they shall be granted an exemption if the book in question just happens to be checked out.

You forgot the sperm whale. The missiles were turned into a bowl of pentunias being carried along inside a sperm whale. The Hitchhiker game, while not exactly canon, but written by Douglas Adams and Steve Mertzkey for Infocom, explains that the bowl of petunias were the radar guidance system of the missiles, which themselves became the whale.

It is older than that. From the Annotated Pratchett File (The Annotated Pratchett File v9.0 - The Colour of Magic):

As far as my contribution, while I don’t have a true favorite, I will throw out this little gem from Adams’s other series.

From Dirk Gently’s Holistic Detective Agency:

It marked him as a bleedin’ loon!

Tristram Shandy is an early example of an unreliable narrator, as well as a narrator that talks back to the author. It is a very amusing satire, if you don’t mind it being high brow and in old English.

I love all the Wodehouse quotations here! It took me forever to run this one to ground:

“Don’t run a Rugger club in Totleigh, do you?”
Stinker replied in the negative. The Totleigh-in-the-Wold athletes, he said, preferred the Association code, and Plank, probably shuddering, said, “Good God!”
– From “Stiff Upper Lip, Jeeves”
That about sums up how I feel about soccer, aka Association rules football.

don’t know if this has been posted yet, but anyone who has read the great gatsby will recognize this one:

“it’s an old clock.”

i had to stop reading for twenty minutes after i read that because i was laughing too hard

Another Pratchettism, from Interesting Times:
The four horsemen of the apocalypse are getting ready to eat the sack lunches they brought with them:

War: “We’ve got … let’s see now … Egg and Cress, Chicken Tikka, and Mature Cheese with Crunchy Pickle, I think.”
Death: THEY DO SUCH MARVELLOUS THINGS WITH SANDWICHES THESE DAYS.
War: “Oh … and Bacon Surprise.”
Death: REALLY? WHAT IS SO SURPRISING ABOUT BACON?
War: “I don’t know. I suppose it comes as something of a shock to the pig.”
Still makes me giggle like a fiend.
Also, I’m loving the FaLiLV quotes. Top five in my books AND movies.

I saw the title of this thread and instantly thought of Wodehouse – and was very pleased that Bertie Wooster himself was the subject of your first post!

I offer this simple and well-known sentence, also by Bertie, courtesy of Code of the Woosters. Always makes me grin:

“I could see that, if not actually disgruntled, he was far from being gruntled.”

(emphasis added)

Hwæt?!

The passage contains a nice cross section of Wodehouse mannerisms – an occurrence of an abbreviation, “wife of his b.”, the oft-recurring giving-of-notice by gifted but temperamental French chef Anatole, two strong examples of Aunt Dahlia’s forceful nature.

It lacks Jeeves, however. For his absolutely pivotal importance to the stories, Jeeves is actually physically present very little. I would like to see a graph or printout of the percentage – I would bet it’s surpirsingly low. When he is present, his dialogue is extremely clipped. “Yes, sir.” “No, sir.” “Indeed, sir.” Yet for all the lopsidedness in their on-stage time, Jeeves and Bertie are solidly and inseparably a pair. Most writers, inventing such a potent personality, would, I suspect, give Jeeves many more lines, probably having him on hand most or all the time. Wodehouse’s restraint in utilizing this classic character could be a source of the magic we experience in the pairing, but ‘why’ is a mystery.

I am not familiar – can anyone explain?

[hijack] This thread spurred me to finally (through the benefit of having extra cash from way too much overtime) acquire the Discworld series. But Amazon has me thoroughly confused. Can someone please direct me to a chronological list of the series? Thanks! [/hijack]

Crap. There’s an order to them? I just bought my first Pratchett book yesterday. Having no idea where to start, I picked Small Gods. Was this an error?