funniest sentence in literature, IMO

I remember it as “died when his heart stopped. It stopped because several men went into his bedroom and stuck knives in it.”

Try Terry Pratchett. Good site for lists and other info info on most SF/Fantasy authors’ books.

You would probably not be surprised that this has been discussed here before.

Discworld reading order

Short answer: No, it’s not an error. That’s as good a one to start with as any.

Wottest thou not myn geste, freke?

[sub]Keep up, will you? Anything prior to 1800 is unreadable high brow old English. Modern, Middle, Old, whatever.[/sub]

All items mentioned in this thread, most of which I was unaware, duly added to my reading list. Thanks for all the suggestions and excerpts!

This may well have been written by a Doper.

ETA: but even if it wasn’t, it’s a great sentence.

My favorite pair of lines comes from Anita Loos’ Gentlemen Prefer Blondes, on the very first page, as Lorelei writes in her diaries:

“So this gentleman said a girl with brains ought to do something else with them besides think. And he said he ought to know brains when he sees them, because he is in the senate and he spends a great deal of time in Washington, d. c., and when he comes into contact with brains he always notices it.”

Perhaps in the game, but in the books they were quite separate. One missile turned into the whale, and one into the flowers.

I’m surprised no one has mentioned this passage from HHG (I know, it’s not a single sentence):

“Come,” called the old man, “come now or you will be late.”
“Late?” said Arthur. “What for?”
“What is your name, human?”
“Dent. Arthur Dent,” said Arthur.
“Late, as in the late Dentarthurdent,” said the old man, sternly. “It’s sort of a threat, you see.” Another wistful look came into his tired old eyes. “I’ve never been very good at them myself, but I’m told they can be very effective.”

Even better heard on the original radio play.

No love for Mark Twain? Sheesh.

I don’t have time to look up the exact quote, but one my favorites is his classic where he tells the newspaper reporter that everyone had always thought it was his twin brother who’d drowned in the bath, but they were wrong.

He’s got another in (I think) “A Hardboiled Detective Story” where he comes up with a real snorer sentence that contains the phrase “with the winged esophogi floating effortlessly on the breeze” or some such. Well, sure, as written that’s a bit strange - and a critic called him on it - but Twain invited the critic to re-read the entire sentence. As Twain noted, if he’d just used a different noun, probably NO ONE would have ever noticed that the sentence makes NO SENSE AT ALL under any circumstance. Whoosh, indeed.

Most people fail to miss the ground, and if they are really trying properly, the likelihood is that they will fail to miss it fairly hard.
Another one from the same series, although I can’t remember the phrase. I’m going to sound stupid.

"The men of whatever will be first up against the wall when the revolution comes. This was proven correct when an updated copy of the guide fell through a time portal and it said, ‘the men of whatever were the first up against the wall when the revolution came.’’

Yeah, I screwed that up royally.

I posted this in another quote thread a while back. I still laugh every time I read it, so here it is again.

“I will make no metaphors to describe the pain in my head, because the brain, which makes metaphors, should not be forced to be clever at its own expense. My ribs ached like a kingdom that has lost a war, and my stomach swelled with the nausea of all the seas, but my head, well, it hurt. It really hurt.” - from Memoir from Antproof Case by Mark Helprin

How about the bit from the essay on the literary offenses of Fenimore Cooper? One of my favorites:

And while it’s not really literature, there are few things that make me laugh to the point of tears, no matter how many times I read it, like Mr. Clemens’ letter to the gas company of Feb. 12, 1891. It’s available in the Viking Portable Mark Twain, and at only one paragraph of only four sentences it’s hard to quote enough to give a flavor of it without exceeding “fair use”, but trust me it’s worth seeking out if you don’t know it.

The “men of whatever” would, of course, be the marketing division of the Sirius Cybernetics Corporation, aka "a bunch of mindless jerks who will be . . . " etc.

Not The Sword in the Stone. I didn’t think it was, and having way too much time on my hands over the weekend I reread the book. The above story isn’t in there.

/mr picky

Winterhawk beat me to Good Omens , and I’ve lost my copy (but notice my SN). Still…

Humans are smart, and past a certain point, assume that anything
present is supposed to be there, and offered no confrontation.
But machines are stupid, and they went off like anything.

Also winging it on the quote:

So he searched the dashboard inch by inch, knowing the steering wheel had
to be there somewhere; when he reached the farther side, he concluded
someone had stolen it.

From Slaughterhouse Five.

One of my favorites is from A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur’s Court:

Twain placed the punch line at the end, the place the German verb would be.

It’s "A Double Barrelled Detective Story.

The opening to Chapter Four :

* Chapter 4

No real gentleman will tell the naked truth in the presence of ladies.

It was a crisp and spicy morning in early October.

The lilacs and laburnums, lit with the glory-fires of autumn, hung burning and flashing in the upper air, a fairy bridge provided by kind Nature for the wingless wild things that have their homes in the tree-tops and would visit together; the larch and the pomegranate flung their purple and yellow flames in brilliant broad splashes along the slanting sweep of the woodland; the sensuous fragrance of innumerable deciduous flowers rose upon the swooning atmosphere; far in the empty sky a solitary œsophagus slept upon motionless wing; everywhere brooded stillness, serenity, and the peace of God.*
Entire story is available here, as well as a commentary by Twain, and an editorial comment, at the end of Chapter Four.

“Money couldn’t buy friends but you got a better class of enemy.”

• Spike Milligan, Puckoon.

And another Terry Pratchett:

“It’s not worth doing something unless you were doing something that someone, somewere, would much rather you weren’t doing.”