Funny home appliance deaths: washing machine vs. sink

Our poor washing machine, which is probably going on 30-years-old, has been “walking” around and knocking for a few years. She lives in the basement next to the slop sink into which she drains.

The slop sink is original to the house (1915) and very, very heavy porcelain/porcelain-coated metal.

Last week the washer went for a walk, crashed into the sink, and knocked it off the wall. The sink embedded itself into the side of the washer as it fell and they were both killed instantly. It sounded like two Hummers collided in the basement and the floor actually shook from impact.

The crime scene photo is hilarious – it really does look like a fight to the death.*
*I’d provide the pic, but my Blackberry (yes, really!) has recently lost the ability to upload data files. Probably because it’s made out of wood and vacuum tubes :rolleyes:

RIP, at least they went together. Now neither will be left behind to mourn.

I thought this was gonna be about people hilariously Darwin-awarding them selves via laundry mishap.

If they must die, at least they died spectacularly! :smiley:

We remodeled our kitchen 11 years ago, including all new appliances. So far this year, we’ve faced the deaths of the microwave, the fridge, and the garbage disposal. The fridge was really the only crisis failure, since there was no warning and it had to be replaced immediately.

Now I regard the stove and the dishwasher with suspicion - who’s next?? Fortunately, neither one will bring our lives to a stop, but Murphy suggests that either or both will die at a most inconvenient time. I did manage to get all my Christmas cookies baked, so there’s that…

I am so sorry for your loss.
I hope the funeral will celebrate their life rather than a tragic end.

Perhaps these folks could help you with your grief.
Picha Furniture Appliances & Funeral Home

They probably had detested each other for years. The slop sink though the washing machine was a hyperactive freak, and washing machine thought the slop sink was stuck up. Finally they just couldn’t take it any more and had it out.

This is what happens when parents don’t set proper limits for their charges.

Not to be (but to be) one of those grouchy 50ish folks, it really does seem that appliances used to last a lot longer. The dead washer’s companion is a 1968 dryer that does a spectacular job; it does have a really funny lint quirk, but I’ll save that for a future appliance thread.

I guess she was an Affluenza Kid.

The washing machine has been blowing its wad into that sink for decades, but it wasn’t just about sex. They’ve been by each other’s side through thick and thin. When they found out the washer was terminally ill, they decided to die in one another’s embrace.

Our hot water heater met its demise this past weekend. Cold showers…bbbrrrrrrrrr!!

Being replaced with a tankless version.

Ah, yes, water heater - it’s the one that came with the house and I have no idea how long it had been here before we bought the place. I figure it’ll die during a blizzard since it’s in the basement and the basement door is in the back down a hill, so getting a truck down there in snow is pretty much a no-go. Yep, it’ll have to fail spectacularly at the most inconvenient time, because that’s how it goes, right?

With a preponderance of gushing. The wailing and lamenting come after the plumber hands you the bill and you’ve replaced a goodly bit of carpet and drywall. Fortunately, it was my father that had to deal with it.

Avg. life of a standard water heater is about 8 years.

Ah yes… Hot water heaters.

The naive individual thinks that when they break the water will just get cold.

The sharp individual understands that when they break he bottom falls out and you get forty gallons of water on the floor,

The experienced individual knows that when they break, the bottom falls out, you get forty gallons of water on the floor, and they keep trying to refill themselves!

I had that happen in our church, with the result that I had to bring a pool cover pump to remove the hundreds of gallons of water from the basement floor.