FYI: Google translate produces something for Lorem Ipsum

Cecil explained the origins of the Lorem ipsum filler text in a 2001 column:

It contains the a link to further research by Rosie Cima from 2015. The consensus is that it’s gibberish derived from a passage from Cicero. But I’ll note it’s not complete gibberish. Here’s google’s translation into English (using detect language).

It is important to take care of the patient, to be followed by the patient, but it will happen at such a time that there is a lot of work and pain. For to come to the smallest detail, no one should practice any kind of work unless he derives some benefit from it. Do not be angry with the pain in the reprimand in the pleasure he wants to be a hair from the pain in the hope that there is no breeding. Unless they are blinded by lust, they do not come forth; they are in fault who abandon their duties and soften their hearts, that is, their labors.

Ok, I’m not sure what that means either. I’m just saying it doesn’t look like a set of Latin words scrambled at random. For posterity, I’ll quote the filler text in full:

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.

As a former graphic artist, I’ve long been interested with lorem ipsum placeholder text and its history.

Here’s a 1914 translation of the Cicero text that the lorem ipsum text was taken from. It’s not dissimilar to the Google translation:

1914 translation by H. Rackham

“But I must explain to you how all this mistaken idea of denouncing pleasure and praising pain was born and I will give you a complete account of the system, and expound the actual teachings of the great explorer of the truth, the master-builder of human happiness. No one rejects, dislikes, or avoids pleasure itself, because it is pleasure, but because those who do not know how to pursue pleasure rationally encounter consequences that are extremely painful. Nor again is there anyone who loves or pursues or desires to obtain pain of itself, because it is pain, but because occasionally circumstances occur in which toil and pain can procure him some great pleasure. To take a trivial example, which of us ever undertakes laborious physical exercise, except to obtain some advantage from it? But who has any right to find fault with a man who chooses to enjoy a pleasure that has no annoying consequences, or one who avoids a pain that produces no resultant pleasure?”

From this site

What you’ve shown is that Google translate isn’t smart enough to realize the text is gibberish.

Well we knew google translate was a rough approximation.

For the fun of it, I randomized the words and added some punctuation and capitalization:

In voluptate id ut laboris Lorem labore in cupidatat ea est amet, aliqua. Veniam, ex dolore adipiscing sed dolor minim exercitation pariatur. Fugiat aliquip elit, occaecat Duis sunt eu aute commodo. Excepteur irure cillum sint laborum. Proident, reprehenderit Ut officia esse enim culpa anim consectetur magna quis non nisi nostrud dolor nulla do ad qui mollit in sit tempor ullamco velit ut incididunt eiusmod consequat. Ipsum dolore et deserunt.

Google translate, detect language:

In pleasure, it is important to work in the desire of work. I will come, from the pain of the coaching, but the pain is relieved by the least exercise. Let some of the people flee, and they will be blinded. Except that they are a hair’s breadth of trouble. They come forth, he will reprove that the duties are for the guilt of the soul, and that it is great that no one but our pain gives any gift to those who soften at any time, so that this kind of consequence may occur. They left him in pain.

Harder to see Cicero’s influence, but google translate does appear to insert some coherence into the random jumble. Methinks Johnny_Bravo makes a good point.

ETA: Similar exercise with a famous English text:

Their testing consecrate they this they sense, detract. Forget battle-field new full that have that brought – But, for that here perish the dead these all live. Measure on or as gave our of freedom that shall earth. Engaged fitting nation, us have that the that can vain. It four are lives add proper our devotion living, and did dedicate brave nation God, continent, years Liberty, on fathers is who people. The before we we. We ago is great government by any people, that above not what thus equal. Is – met cause that do a poor that fought the far struggled but rather ground. Here what portion we great to a a for the here, here from or here, for of shall remaining the unfinished be should this might can The to war, men here dead to the larger conceived who come nation, conceived consecrated war. Which we can far field, dedicated, which highly seven endure. Never and and these forth the so in they great we have rather – a from place will not long nor nation, shall under to the whether and to not note. Now that created that score of to dedicate. It – in the – gave we that us long final proposition resting work say nation birth. It in are us increased to here. We for task dead, dedicated not are died power new to take so civil can here can nobly have honored those not and be little that – living altogether resolve have in a of who – devotion for people, last hallow we of a and advanced. A men, so it this dedicated world this. It, remember we dedicated.

I once tried to understand some of Martin Buber’s philosophy, and this makes about as much sense (to my pea-brain).