Game of Thrones 4.05 "The First Of His Name" 5/4/14 NO SPOILERS

So what, if anything, will be the consequences of Bran taking control of Hodor and causing Hodor to kill Locke? Hodor has so far been an innocent in all of the violence.

This is Littlefinger we’re talking about. Do you really think Littlefinger misses anything important?

Which was entirely conjecture. Just because it hasn’t been consummated yet, doesn’t mean they aren’t married. We haven’t seen any marriage end by anything other than death.

The only reason that Locke was an immediate threat to Bran was because of the unnecessary diversion of the plot to Craster’s in the first place. As for Licke’s threat to Jon, that could have been left simmering indefinitely, because Jon Snow presents no threat to Bolton’s claim on Winterfell.

Bolton presents the same threat now that he always has.

Single shot of mutineers dead from starvation, wolves, or zombies would have taken care of that.

Clearly you didn’t care for that sub-plot. Since you’re now reminding me of the John Cleese character in the Argument Sketch, I’ll leave you to it.

Right, I know that. But like Acsenray said, they could have died by starvation or Walkers or from infighting or poisoning by the women or any number of things. They aren’t a well trained group of fighters, they’re a rowdy bunch of rapists and murderers. I see no reason narratively that Jon and his group of Nightsguard had to go kill them.

I don’t want to make a big deal of it, it just felt like narrative wheel-spinning. It seemed like Craster’s was setting up a few things, like Jon and Bran meeting up or Jon finding out he’s in danger from the Bolton’s because he’s a Stark even though he’s a bastard. Instead, it was just another chance to show how awful it is for women in Westeros.

Maybe it was setting up more things for down the road. But there’s not as many characters at the wall and up North so it seems they have to kill time storywise somehow until the White Walkers and/or Mance Rayder’s army shows up for a fight.

I guess that makes sense, just it seemed different to me if there is an alive husband with whom the marriage hasn’t been consummated, or if the marriage was never consummated because the husband is dead.

But I guess it doesn’t matter anyway. If the Lannister’s find out Sansa has married again, their beef wouldn’t be with the marriage, it would be that Sansa is stilll alive.

Well, sure, but the characters need something to do in each episode. Do you really want to watch Jon Snow emptying chamber pots?

…maybe you missed the conversation between Olenna and Margaery where they discussed the fact that unconsummated marriages don’t count any more in the GoT world than they did in mediaeval times in the real world.

So as to not totally hijack the thread with the Craster’s plot stuff, I enjoyed seeing Brienne and Podrick. Podrick seems like he could be helpful to Brienne, after he learns a few things like that meat needs to be skinned before it’s eaten. I don’t know how long it would take them to get to where Sansa is, but it will be interesting to see what happens when Brienne tries to rescue her. Or if Brienne finds out where Sansa is if she thinks that Sansa needs to be rescued.

If Brienne found out that Sansa is at the Vale with her aunt, she’d stop looking for her, since that is exactly where Brienne is planning on taking her anyway. That’s also Sandor’s plan for Arya, he figures that Lysa will pay to get her back.

I suppose this is the obstacle I’ve been predicting for Danaerys for a few episodes: she conquered a bunch of cities but didn’t leave a real government behind to keep her admirers free, so it didn’t last. The thing that drew me to this character at the start of the series was watching her learn on the fly and adapt to her circumstances with the Dothraki, moving from a very vulnerable position into one of strength. She’s become a conqueror and now she’ll have to learn to be a queen, as they hinted in that scene where Daario II gave her the flowers. The news about the Lannister gold mines was really significant, too. Now we know why Tywin says the Lannisters will either be preserved for 1,000 years or gone in 30: he has to consolidate their strength right now by allying with the Tyrells and others before their potential enemies and the Iron Bank find out about their money troubles. That Cersei-Margaery scene was good drama, too. Oh- and was Arya’s list always this long? Jeez.

Yes. I thought it was odd that they went to the trouble of setting up this problem for Jon and then resolved it right away. Maybe we’re meant to be more concerned how Hodor and Bran feel about killing Locke.

Very interesting! And it was so kind of Lysa to just explain the whole thing to Littlefinger in a big echoey chamber even though he already knew it! :wink: But that’s a major surprise and it puts almost all of the major Westeros plot developments in a different light: Littlefinger killed Jon Arryn, maneuvered the Starks into confrontation with the Lannisters, then betrayed Ned and helped poison Joffrey. So he’s helped the Tyrells a great deal and moved far up in the world in the process as well as getting revenge and getting access to Sansa. But it seems like his alliances with Lysa and the Tyrells are almost at an end because he’s gotten what he needs from them. Who is he going to turn to next?

Oh, Lysa is in a lot of trouble. She’s somewhat blinded by her insecurity and her lust for Littlefinger (or maybe she subconsciously knows she just married a snake), but her paranoid neediness might just keep her alive if she’s lucky. Littlefinger obviously wants Sansa and he’ll try to make that happen sooner or later, which menas Lysa and [del]Robin[/del] Milhouse will officially be In The Way.

Lysa is clearly assuming Tyrion is about to die, in which case the marriage doesn’t really count. If Tyrion lives, well, the nobles make up the rules for themselves anyway. If she marries her cousin and nobody is in position to say boo about it, then they’re married.

Yes, but we haven’t seen any sort of Westeros version of divorce or annulment. It really is til death do they part over there. And they’re still talking about Margaery mourning her husband.

Do you think Littlefinger could not find a way to use a mission Stark girl?

Cersei was sucking up to all of Tyrion’s judges. She was nice to Margery (and offering up Tommen) to get to her father, who is the 3rd judge.

Having his neck snapped?

Being sneaky and looking suspiciously like The Six-Fingered Man.

The board is changed and now the pieces are in disarray, I think its just a matter of her keeping her options open.

Declan

Exactly. And I’m sure the response will be “but maybe he couldn’t find a way to use her!” I just don’t think he recognized her. He’s clever and good at scheming but it’s not like he spent tons of time around Arya (not as much as the Hound did, as Joffrey’s bodyguard, which is why the Hound was able to recognize her). I’m perfectly satisfied with him just not recognizing this random little peasant girl.

Sort of. The Bran storyline suffers because the dialogue is limited to 4 characters, and one of them only says Hodor. Having them meet up with others keeps it a bit more interesting. We also learned that Bran can take over Hodor. As for Jon, this reunites him with Ghost. It also demonstrates his leadership at the Wall, for convincing Thorne to let him lead this mission, and inspiring others to follow. Showing us this (rather than just telling us) is good storytelling.

Calling it reset undersells what happened quite a bit.

Two episodes the Onion Knight had an idea revolving around the Iron Bank. It looks like he is going to try to get them to give Stannis another army to attack Kings Landing.