Game of Thrones, Cripples, Bastards, and Broken Things, 5/8/11

Haven’t read the book but I’m keeping it straight just fine. Enjoying the series quite a lot actually.

Yeah, I’m giving up on the series. I really wanted to like it since it looks so cool, but I fail to do so. I have invested four hours into this series, and all I know is that each episode introduces six new characters, who each have 14 seconds of screen time, who all look the same, and talk the same, and dress the same, and everybody is everybody else’s third cousin twelve-times removed, and for some reason there are a bunch of idiots guarding an iceberg, and I have neither the time nor the energy to keep track of any of it.

I’m not gonna throw more time after a negative ROI. I will instead devote one hour a week to something with a far more lucrative return, like watching old Three Stooges shorts.

Gosh, if only they’d spent ten minutes of the first episode showing why.

-Joe

Loving it. To me, this is how a series should be adapted - they’re sticking to the canon, but they’re changing things to move timing along, not just adding a bunch of new crap willy-nilly. This is a far superior adaptation to say, The Walking Dead, which should have been exactly the opposite, as one source is very dense and difficult to adapt to a visual medium, and one is a nice, episodic comic book that should have been easy to follow along.

Do I miss the things left out? Of course. Do I wish they’d followed some things a little more closely? Of course. But in general, I think they’re doing a bang-up job.

Well, I guess we have both sides of the “it’s confusing” coin on this board.

If I remember the scene you’re talking about, that was where a bunch of dudes in the snow got eaten by zombies or something, yes? If that has something to do with the fat guy and idiots guarding the big ice cube tray, I obviously missed it.

I’m finding it mildly enjoyable. There are way too many characters and the subplots are jumping all over the place, but it’s kind of fun to watch. I can imagine enjoying it a lot more if I had read the books and was seeing it put to screen. But as a stand alone piece, it’s a bit weak.

So far, I give it an overall B-.

The role of the night’s watch was discussed, probably half a dozen times.

Probably need to do it more clearly. I mean, who knows why Sam has been sent to the Wall?

-Joe

It took me a long time to remember where I had seen Littlefinger’s smirking face before…then it finally came to me…The Wire!

We at least know Sam’s version of the reason from last night’s episode (or at least the reason he disclosed) whether true or full disclosure - I have no idea.

Sorry, that was a joke. A play on someone apparently incapable of comprehending what is blatantly spoken during the show.

-Joe

If you don’t want to answer a question, that’s one thing, but it’s not necessary to be a dick about it.

I recommend that you never watch The Wire, then. Personally, I appreciate a series that treats the viewer as being smart enough to fill in some blanks and doesn’t hand-feed you every detail.

I liked The Wire.

From the very beginning? Because most of your complaints about Game of Thrones could easily be said about The Wire. How did you keep track of the Barksdale crew?

I don’t know if it’s like the Wire in that way. I don’t think it requires that much blank-filling. It’s just confusing, with all these characters and names. I’ve read the book, and I’m still somewhat confused. However, they have talked a lot about the purpose of the wall.

Look, there are some things that is perfectly reasonable to be confused about. It is afterall a complicated show with a very large cast. But if you are getting confused about something that has not only been explicitly explained several times but also shown in the very first scene of the show then maybe the show is not the problem.

I think both this show and Walking Dead are great. I’ve read these books, but only read some Walking Dead after watching the show. I like some of the changes they’ve made to Walking Dead, even if it’s not sticking as closely to the source material. I think they made the show much more interesting than if they’d just used the comic as straight storyboards.

Never read the books. Having no problem following the story.

Having a little trouble remembering all the names, and I don’t think I’ll get there before the series is over. But I think I’ve got almost everyone important. Even if it’s only nicknames like Littlefinger and The Hound. (I can never remember Dany’s brother’s name, but ‘crazy white-haired bastard’ is a perfectly easy way to refer to him.)

I think I’m missing a Stark kid, but it’s the one who’s done naught but exist (and barely that), so far - Robb, Jon (who I know is not named Stark), Bran, Arya, and Sansa I know.