Games where you must continually eat food/drink water or die

Quest for Glory series.

You have to have food on you or your character can die.

Pac-man

you must constantly be eating them dots, else you’ll start to hallucinate and ghosts will come to get you.

I dont remember dying, but it was a pain in the ass because you had basic foods and drinks, then you had player made stat food and drink, some of which was very expensive in the auction house or in time and material gathering … and you would auto eat and drink so you had to be careful which bagslots you put stuff in so you didn’t accidentally consume the wrong stuff. You also had to feed your pets if you were a beastie, otherwise they could get very unhappy and leave you.

The Realms of Arkania RPG series.

I came in here to say this - but I have the opposite reaction to it. The problem I have is that the food spoils real time. So, if I have a good stock of food and shut the game off for two days, it’s all rotten.

I loved MGS2, but I’ve never even finished 3 because I just get frustrated. I’m a causal gamer that may only have an hour to spare every couple of days.

It’s just such a stupid game mechanic. Am I supposed to believe that Snake is just sitting there crouching the woods waiting for days for me to come and play again? His world should be paused when the PS2 is off.

Pets never left you in EQ and didn’t require food. I think that’s in WoW.

If you failed to eat/drink, you’d be spammed with messages and take a relatively minor hit to your endurance regeneration. Some people just ignored it out of spite. Originally, food did nothing but keep you fed because the designers felt it was more realistic to force you to buy bread and muffins but, since they had a baking trade skill, people wanted their time making snake sandwiches to be worth something and +stat food was added. That’s why you had expensive +stat food and were still saddled with juggling bread to keep yourself from consuming it; it wasn’t designed for that back in 1999.

I don’t think Angband did.

The real point of eating in NetHack, of course, wasn’t just to stave off hunger but to get certain powers by eating the right kind of corpse (floating eye for telepathy, fire beetle for fire resistance, etc.).

Most of the Ultima games up through Ultima 7 required food in some ways. In Ultima 7, your character and party members will complain that they are hungry, and if not fed will eventually take damage.

It does have food, but it’s just a minor nuisance. Buy 5 food rations from shop 1 every time you are about to head down and that’s pretty much it. Then there were mushrooms that had all sorts of interesting effects, though I’m not sure what was in vanilla and what was added by the variants I played.

Well, Quest of the Avatar (Ultima 4, I think, though the numbering can be a bit funny) didn’t have food, and in many ways that’s the poster child for the Ultima series as a whole.

I’m pretty sure it did. More or less the same system was used from Ultima 1-5. You had a food counter, which decreased every couple of steps you made, and you had to buy more in towns.

Found a screenshot of it. It’s the F counter.

In Dungeon Master you needed to keep up your food, not sure about water (loved that game).

Robinson’s Requiem required that you worry about food, water, bandages, medicine…

Slayer on the good old 3DO system required you to eat packs of rations to stay alive, unless you had a Regeneration ring. I still miss 3DO.

Ooo, I remember Slayer. And I loved the 3DO.

If you play Fallout New Vegas on Hardcore mode you have to eat, drink and sleep or your character gets increasingly weak. I’ve never taken it to the point of death but I assume you could go that far (you can die from radiation poisoning I know). One of the more realistic games wrt having to eat and drink IMHO.

It’s been a long time, but I think you had to eat in Ultima Online, though it might have been to get health back and you wouldn’t die if you didn’t do it.

-XT

:smack: Missed your post, sorry.

-XT

There was an old game back in the 80’s that was called Wilderness: A Survival Adventure that was basically a backcountry travel simulator in classic text-based adventure game form. That game was basically all about meeting your basic needs without dieing. I’d post a link, but the only reference whatsoever I can find to it on the internet is on abandonware sites where you can download it, and I don’t know if linking those is kosher here.

Sort of. The Water meter rises too fast and the Food meter rises too slowly, IMO. And the Sleep meter is just ridiculous. You can go a week without needing sleep, then pop a few Nuka-Colas, a bottle of water to wash it down, and keep going for another week.

That looks like an earlier version of the game. I’m only familiar with the NES version.

Ha, yes, who didn’t learn about dysentery from playing Oregon Trail?