Garden Pictures Many Flowers

I started a thread for garden pictures, so people know it’s full of pictures. Add links to your pictures, if you have them.

The pictures show some close ups and some beds from a distance. There are pictures of stuff that I plant directly into the soil at the yard transition. The plants there compete well, and mixing plants up help greatly with pest control. Note the nasturtium and pumpkins together. The nasturtium keep the squash bores from the root junction of the squash family. The parents don’t lay eggs to hatch, because of the nasturtium cover. Most pictures are in the more traditional beds. You should press the back button to view the pictures in the intended order, since the photo site reversed their intended order, and did some mixing on it’s own.

http://s175.photobucket.com/albums/w130/Mighty_Mite/July%20Garden%202007/?action=view&current=PottedPlantsDelphiniumandIrisBed.jpg

There are currently 35 pictures. I left so many pictures out. I put in the picture of the Fox river, because I like the picture very much. The grass haze effect at the horizon is something I like.

What a beautiful place you have! Lush, verdant, colorful and dove icing on your yardcake. Gee, seeing all that you can’t help but feel at peace.

Gorgeous garden! Man-o-man…I love summer!

Here’s my sister-in-law’s garden (I photographed it on the 4th) http://www.flickr.com/photos/karlen/sets/72157600658908259/

She’s got such a great variety…some day when I don’t have to work I wanna have a garden like hers.

Kalhoun nice pictures of individual flowers.

I thought of doing an identify the plants thread, to see what people recognized.

I have pictures at Spruce Bog on Father’s Day, and would like to post the pictures of rare plants some time. I don’t have pictures of the Pink Lady Slippers, because they were done flowering. I do have lots of pictures of Pitcher Plants flowering. I took pictures of Mound Builder mounds, but they’re not comprehensible from the ground in a small picture.

I wish I had a working camera last summer. I had 40 feet of 4 foot wide zinnia bed. Some of the cosmos were 10 feet tall by the grape arbor. They were even with the top of the arbor. I had a evening prime rose that was about ten feet to the top also. Last year was the year for huge beyond what I expect plants to manage.

My friend is moving fairly soon (within a year probably) and she’s got cosmos and evening primrose that will be dug up and planted in my garden before she moves. She’s also got Jack-in-the-pulpit. I’m not sure if I’m going to get that one, though.

Evening Primrose is a biennial with a long tap root. Don’t try to move it. Sow some seed directly where you want it.Let new plants start each year for the next. Cosmos are annuals, so you seed them in spring.

I put 4 pictures from last year in a different album. The hollyhock reached 10 feet last year and was at least six feet wide. Some flowers were 8 inches across. A rodent killed it early this spring. It ate off the roots. I had to try taking about 20 pictures for every one that worked last spring. The camera was dying. I used the garden beds as physical therapy for the last three years. the first year in 4 months I redid 6 feet in the iris.

http://s175.photobucket.com/albums/w130/Mighty_Mite/2006%20Garden/?action=view&current=Hollyhock2006-1.jpg

The variety of cosmos she has is a perrenial. However, I’ll let her know to leave the evening primrose where it’s at.

Harmonius Discord, your garden is beautiful. Your roses and grapes are perfect- you must have some sort of agreement with the Japanese beetles. I’ll bet your borders are full of butterflies and bees.

Clear perfect pics, Kalhoun. Do you have a tripod? My hands shake, so your calendar perfect photos make me want to apologize for my garden pics. I regret not raiding the gardens of the houses I have sold in the past- be sure and clean out your friend’s garden.

The sky was overcast and hazy this morning, so the garden pics aren’t very sharp. But the sun broke through for the wildlife habitat pics- they are a little nicer.

Of course I didn’t get any close-ups of the bean beetles, the bolted broccoli, or the woefully overcrowded and stunted corn, but I have already forgiven myself for getting carried away with disposing of all of the outdated seed I have carried around for the past three years. What thrives will be appreciated; what tanks will be ignored. I will start fresh next year with a smaller plot, and plan to start some raised beds next month.

I am a mad seed saver and very fond of taking care of native plants, so if anyone in the Southern clime wants buttonbush or marshmallow, (or heirloom tomatoes) send me an address at the end of the season.

Just checking in from other thread. Still no pics yet. Edlyn will be home this weekend. Maybe I can get some up by Sunday. Sorry. :frowning: But the ones y’all put up look great! :slight_smile:

Thanks! I really enjoy photographing them, but I’m not doing anything special. No tripod, I just squat down and shoot with the micro-zoomie thing (I can get 1.5 in. from my subject). For the most part, the wind didn’t screw up my shots, but a few of them came out blurry if they were the more delicate, slender stemmed flowers. I’m going to try to get those again, because they were really neat looking flowers.

Your veggie pictures look positively good enough to eat! Great shots! Also, lovin’ the butterfly!

Beaucarnea you have the space I haven’t hadfor years. I’d like to get hold of a larger plot so I can plant indian corn, gourds, and all the stuff that requires larger space. I had a variety of indian corn, which I had selected out for over a decade. I lost the ability to plant it, for a couple of years, and the seed got moved by someone during that period. I found it many years later, and all the seeds were dead. It is a shame. I had plants that rooted from about two feet up the stalk, and had about three ears per plant. It never blew down, and was about 8 foot average. I had pastel purples, pinks, greens, and blues, in with the darker colors. I had it all selected to the rounded type kernels, not the large dented ones.

I love your garden. It’s doing well, and I like that you raise the old varieties and save seed. I started saving seed again last year beyond a stray flower head or two. The large evening primrose was a bird treat for about a month and a half, I saved only a little off the seed, but it was about a pint, which is thousands of seeds.

The grapes are Fredonia, which are twice the size of Concord and beat it by a month to ripen. I have them more for the sake of a shaded arbor and not for the juice any longer. The vines are around 30 years old now. I don’t spray or thin to minimize disease, which I need to do for good production.

Kalhoun, you should pick out 4 or 5 of the most perfect ones to blow up and frame- something nice to ponder this winter. They are lovely- the African daisies look unreal.

I’ve got a little over 5 acres of the deservedly maligned urban sprawl- but I may be selling an acre to fund some major renovations. I am waiting to hear if I received a grant from the forestry department to help me dig a settlement pond- runoff from the busy two lane road that borders the property floods my field with some nasty wastewater. The garden plot is on a section that is naturally higher than the drain section, though- so it is safe from the pollution- I should be able to have the soil there certified organic next year.

I hate that your corn seed was lost, HD- I would have asked for some. I like to plant decorative broom and cane mid-season for the birds. The high roots would have been helpful, too- between the wind and squirrels n’coons, I lose about 1/3 of my corn each year. I meant to ask you on the other thread- you mentioned that you use a post hole digger to plant tomatoes- do you garden Ruth Stout style? (Organic Gardening link)

Oh, fresh grape juice. I haven’t had any in years- I should plant grapes when I start landscaping this fall. Maybe muscadines…

Nice photos. That is some vegetable garden, Beaucarnea.

Here’s my subtropical bed as of September 2006 (the current year’s edition will be peaking over the next month or so).

And yes, the banana is hardy in Ohio.

That is gorgeous. What a great idea- the neighbors have lots of bananas and cannas around here, and occasionally some clumping bamboo, but I haven’t seen anyone do anything this creative with subs. Is that a castor bean in there?

Beaucarnea I was doing stuff like that before she was well known. I believe it was her that suggested old carpets and such. Some stuff does good growing that way and some not as well. I use landscape cloth for at least a year if I want an easy care bed, where stuff was thick. I learned the methods more from the Organic Gardening magazines in the 70’s. I used raised beds with square foot planting methods, and intensive gardening techniques. I use companion plantings, and spread plants around for pest and disease control. Leaving native habitat patches increases the supply of insects to kill the pests that show up. It’s all interconnected and hard to claim it’s one technique, when they all overlap into each other. I’ve used drip irrigation to at least raise something in sand. It doesn’t make a difference in good soil with intensive gardening weather or not you drip irrigate or flood the beds, because every inch is used and water is needed over the whole bed. Intensive gardening does prevent much weeding and the ground stays shaded, cooler, and moist longer.

Jackmannii the bed looks really nice. I asked before if your name is inspired by the Potentilla fruticosa 'jackmanii.

Yup, one of the purple-leaf castor beans. It reseeded this year.

Jackmannii (“inspired” by the Clematis).

Goodness, you guys are amazing. You’ve taken it to an art form.

Btw, Jackmanii covers my garage wall trellis. Beautiful stuff, that.

Harmonius, I was weaned on Organic Gardening magazine and the Foxfire series as well. Like you, I rotate, use companion plants, and I’m always grateful to see the spiders, toads, and ladybugs scatter when I poke around in my garden. There are some other nouveau hippy gardeners in my area, so I will keep an eye out for something similar to the Indian corn you described. While I’ve got you here, do you have any suggestions for my acid soil? I spread pellatized lime evenly in March, but midsummer my pH tests are all over the place. It leached completely out in some places, and is excessive in others, and the spotty soil is evident in all the plants. Some plants are stunted and with yellowing leaves, when others just three feet over are deep green thriving. Could a lack of magnesium be the problem?

Jackmannii**, my mother is a zone 6 rose tester for Jackson and Perkins, and uses the castor bean to discourage moles that root around her prized teas. Which is smart, of course, except she has no other tropicals, and the well-fertlized castor plants grow to tower over the roof of her house in a menacing, Little Shop of Horrors sort of way.

But in your gorgeous tropical bed, that castor bean has context and adds a sculptural quality. I love it.

See if this works for anyone.

This is my back deck, where I try to grow some herbs. I have some Bonsai’s back there, but they’re not much to look at. They’re all stuff I’ve made from young, raw nursery stock. The Korean Hornbeams, European Olive, and Maple saplings should make good specimens one day.

I also have some petrified wood, wonder stones, a salt-glazed clay pot, a water gauge and other crap back there, all of which are visible. Some day, it’s going to be a very nice space but its a work in progress.

Jeeeez! That’s one helluva bed! Beeeautiful!