Garth Brook/Chris Gaines

Let’s look at this from a different angle. Maybe Gartho isn’t really making a crass, commercial attempt to cross over into the rock market and, in so doing, creating a thinner, hairier, bearded version of himself to blame it on when things go horribly wrong. Perhaps, he is a pioneer in popular psychology.

Maybe Mr. Brooks has discovered – much like those who discovered that we have an Inner Child – that we all have an Inner Rocker that is waiting to come out and be acknowledged.

Truthfully, I have always had a penchant for getting drunk, sporting weird haircuts, trashing hotel rooms and videotaping myself while having sex with Pam Anderson. I used to think my reasons for restraint involved holding down a job and paying my bills (although I think I could still do both and run the cam-corder). But I was wrong. I have been suppressing my own IR for years and Garth Brooks has shown me the way out of the shallow grave that has become my life.

Rockers of the world unite! Hungry Boy is free!

According to what I heard him say on TV today, the movie hasn’t been cast yet. He says they are looking for someone skinny who has hair, and that obviously isn’t him. He said it, not me, although I agree.
I’m wondering if he originally intended to play the part, and then reality set in. Of course, this being Garth, the whole thing today could have been just another publicity ploy.

Well, he’s managed to give the impression to the entire radio and record industries that he’s starring in the movie – and if he’s not, the whole “I’m Chris Gaines” thing is sort of pointless, isn’t it?

But the whole thing is so peculiar that you may be right. I wonder if there’s really going to be a movie? The usually pretty reliable IMDB www.imdb.com shows it as a 2000 release with GB as CG.

Catrandom

Garth promoted it on Leno on Monday. On Rosie on Tuesday. And if you read this before 8:00 p.m. Eastern (7 Central)Wednesday, turn on NBC and see the 1 hour CG special.

• I heard the C.Gaines(?) song “Maybe” last night on the radio - not the worst I’ve heard. I didn’t know it was him except that they said, but it’s a rock/pop song and I don’t much like country and my radio only has so many presets. I would point out though, that for Garth Brooks to wear a “Goth” costume is just as ridiculous as wearing a “Country” costume. Maybe I’m getting old but lousy singers with great stage visuals really don’t sound any better. (-Don’t get me started on Kiss) - MC

“Entertainment Weekly” basically summed up the whole thing as “cowardly,” saying it’s his attempt to “pull a Shania” – a pop/country crossover – but without having to really commit to it.

And, frankly, the world really doesn’t need one more Backstreet Boy.

That is a brilliant summation of the whole thing phil…as always, well said.

Hows the ancle?

Well, kelli, speaking of the ankle, thanks for asking. This rant deserves its own thread, but anyway . . .

I’ve had my cast off for two weeks now. I go in for followup surgery next Tuesday. At my last appointment, on 9/14, when he tok the cast off, the doctor told me to start putting weight on it as I feel comfortable, and gradually get away from the crutches.

Well, I don’t feel like I’m making much progress. I have this huge mental block about lifting my good foot while having any weight on the other, even when I’m using a cane. I can do little more than hop. So, since the doctor didn’t assign me any physical therapy, and since I feel like I need some help getting past this mental thing, I called his office.

His secretary totally blew me off! I asked her if they do P.T. there. She said no, they recommend patients to someplace else. I told her I though I might need some physical therapy, and how would I go about it? She asked me if the doctor assigned me any, and I thought, “Well, duh. Obviously not.” So I told her no. She said, “Well, he would have to prescribe it for you and write a recommendation,” then asked me when I see him again. I told her next Tuesday. She said, “Why don’t you ask him about it then?” I thought, “Well, because I’ll be on Valium and Novocaine and he’ll be cutting my fucking leg open, stupid.” But, that was basically the end of the conversation; she didn’t seem inclined to actually ask the doctor, and I was too busy to stay on the phone any longer.

It just really peeved me. Here I am talking about figuring out how to frigging walk again, and she blows me off. I’m going to call again today and say, “Hey, how about I get his opinion on the matter and not yours?” Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Pfffff…who cares?

I don’t understand why people get so bent outta shape over the vagaries of the the ‘famous.’ I’ve got a few of his discs, I like 'em. I’ve seen him in concert, he’s a pretty good entertainer. If he wants to do something else, let him.

Personally, I could care less as to what star thinks I shouldn’t eat meat, or which one cries for the rainforests, or what any movie actor or singer thinks of the state of the world today. Their opinions are no more or less valid than mine or the guy who picks up my garbage (who incidentally I have waymore respect for and appreciation of).

He’s never passed judgement on my career, who am I to do so on his? If he wants to be somebody else, he can be my guest; he’s only doing what many others wish they had the courage (or the money) to do.

Z

“Diplomacy is the art of saying “nice doggy” until you can find a rock.”

• Will Rogers