Gasolio fuel in Italy. What is it?

At the fuel pumps in Italy, there are usually three options: Senza Piomba Benzina, BluDiesel, and Gasolio.
What the hell is Gasolio. Is that some kind of Diesel fuel? All the attendant could tell me is that it’s “Gasolio”. Very matter of factly, I might add.

Also, what happens if you mix Gasolio with normal unleaded gasoline??

Thanks

Gasolio is diesel fuel. The ‘BlueDiesel’ you mentioned is almost certainly a premium type/brand of diesel.

Sounds like something Beavis would say on a hypermegalatte :slight_smile:

The attendant reacted the same way as an American one would if you asked him what’s “diesel.” He would shrug and say, “Well, it’s diesel.” :slight_smile:

BluDiesel

Am I a bad person because the first thing I though of when I saw “Gasholio” was Beavis and Butthead? :smiley:

Gasolio is simply diesel fuel. BluDiesel is a premium diesel (aka ripoff). And “senza piombo” means “without lead, or unleaded fuel”. Of course mixing gasolio and regular fuel would mean your car’s engine won’t be happy.

Such a ripoff I’ve never seen it in America. Is this the result of normal schlubs driving diesel vehicles in Italy?

A lot of places sell #1 diesel as their “premium” product.

Brit-side, we have a few brands of “city diesel” that’s supposed to do much what the Blue Diesel in the linked article claims. Diesel cars are a minority, but a sizeable one and it’s nothing unusual to see one filling up when you go for gas. Diesel itself is more highly taxed than it was a few years back (partly, I guess, for environmental reasons, and partly because the government was getting antsy about the revenue it was missing) and so now costs a bit more than gas, but the superior fuel economy offsets this.

Sadly, I have had this happen to me.

I was driving outside of Venice, Italy in my early twenties. I stopped at a station which only had one pump. The 3 choices were Senza 95, Gasolio, & Blu-Diesel. I knew the car needed gas, and the word for that was benzo, but none of these really fit. I assumed the Senza 95 was premium & BluDiesel was the diesel. That left gasolio (I knew olio was oil too!) as the regular stuff. Wrong. Oddly, they used the word diesel in one name and not in the other. Both gasolio and bludiesel were flavours of diesel.

No one spoke English and I took a chance. I pumped gasolio and the nozzle fit fine BTW. The car got about 10 feet then sputtered out. That was an experience! Amazingly a guy near the station had an extra fuel pump. We hooked it to my battery and drained the tank. He kept the diesel and I gave him about 50 Euro. Took almost 2 hours to pump everything out, which made for strenuous conversation, most of which was just hand signals. Then I just filled it up with Senza 95, purchased some accelerant in a can to spray into the intake, and off I went. The engine wanted to choke out for a couple miles, so we just pulled over to keep spraying the accelerant in. Ran fine after a half hour.