Gaudere's Law is in wikipedia!

So, now we’re waiting for Wikipedia references about :

1. 1920s style death rays

2. Band names

3. Hi, Opal!

(I always hoped I would someday find a valid excuse to use this one)

I should have known I couldn’t be the first person to think of it. However, as long gets publicized with my name… ::rubs hands together covetously:: :stuck_out_tongue: :wink:

Curiously, Google has only one hit for “Bell’s First Law of Usenet”, the wiki entry; +Bell and “First Law of Usenet” only has one relevant entry . “Gaudere’s Law” has 35.

I’m a '99er and I thought this was a “real” “law” , like Murphy’s law, that everyone was supposed to know. I had now idea that it was an SDMB thing. I had it on my list of things to do to look up Gaudere and find out what historical, dead person made this “law”.

Well Hi, Opal! is obviously Opal’s Law:

A list can only be identified as such when it contains more than 2 points. In the case of a list having only 2 points it is customary to create a third, irrevelent point to gain it’s true identity. It is customary, but not necessary to make said third point a statement in the form “Hi Opal!”.

As for 1920SDR, as well as references to Og and maybe others I can’t think of that would fall under the Law of Repetitiveness:

*The number of times a statement is simultaneously either:

i) repeated exactly
ii) misspelled repeatedly

is proportional to the probability of it becoming a communal catchphrase in the form:

P = 1 - 1/x, where x is the number of successive statements.*

Congratulations are indeed in order.

Just goes to show, folks… we’re building Western culture in here.

All of us.

:cool:

Are we talking “gotcha ya” and “fucko off” here? Or is that something similar but different - Wildest Bill’s Law, or something?

(Oh yeah, congrats, Gaudere. Nothing like recognition in your own time.)

“gotcha ya” would definitely fit the bill. I have to admit I have never even heard of “fucko off”, let alone the origins.

Sorry to bump this thread, but I didn’t see it until just now.

I’ve been all over that page, and I swear I don’t see the name “Gaudere” anywhere. :confused:

Someone felt that the page was becoming too bloated with things unrelated to Godwin’s Law (which is what the page is ostensibly about, so they removed all the superfluous laws.

Such is Wikipedia.

However, they did reproduce them on the discussion page for the article, so perhaps someone will make a “laws of the internet” page or somesuch. For now, you can read the moved ones (including Gaudere’s) here.

Unfortunately, others have seen fit to remove the various corollaries. Not sure if they might be returned.

Aw man… :frowning:

I don’t see it there…

Ah, okay, found it on the discussion page! Good stuff!